Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister
 
smbauerllc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Buffalo, WY
Posts: 5,855
2004 CAO Maduro Trois Diamant Magnum L'Anniversaire

Country of Origin: Nicaragua

Wrapper Color: Maduro

Wrapper type: Connecticut Broadleaf

Filler: Nicaraguan, Dominican

Binder: Nicaraguan

Vitola: Magnum (6x52)

Humidimeter Reading: 60% (interesting after several months in a Boveda Butler verified 65% tupperdor)

Environment:

Temperature: 81 degrees

Humidity: 34%

Wind: 14mph intermittent

A 6x52 Magnum with a medium, toothy, wrapper with invisible seams, a medium, short cap, and a firm bunch. Overall an attractive looking cigar.

An even burn, short, conical coal, strong, mottled grey ash and a perfect draw.

Ample smoke volume and a fragrant aroma.

Of ample richness, generous body and flavor with a perfect balance Of herbal, vegetal and floral taste, making for a smooth, mild-medium strength.

Finish was brief and modest, consisting of light herbal and vegetal flavors.

No sweetness, bitterness, burn on the tongue, sharpness or saltiness.

Of outstanding character and an overall outstanding cigar with a final, highest to date, score of 97 out of 100.



I friggin love cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:24 AM   #2
Ljutic
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: AR, USA
Posts: 195
Wow...when fresh these were good. It doesn't look like age has changed them much for the worse.

It looks like you started using the humidity meter after the CAO Magnum Extreme review. I went back and looked for your reading in that review. Since all 3 Magnums lived together in a bundle, I was curious if it showed the same reading as this cigar.

My buddy Frank stopped by yesterday and was raving over a basic Leon Jimenez single that made it into his cigars last month. He thought it was one of the best cigars he's ever smoked. I really don't remember dropping it into his bag, or if I have any more in the humidor. You just never know when a cigar will hit someone just right.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:28 AM   #3
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister
 
smbauerllc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Buffalo, WY
Posts: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
Wow...when fresh these were good. It doesn't look like age has changed them much for the worse.

It looks like you started using the humidity meter after the CAO Magnum Extreme review. I went back and looked for your reading in that review. Since all 3 Magnums lived together in a bundle, I was curious if it showed the same reading as this cigar.

My buddy Frank stopped by yesterday and was raving over a basic Leon Jimenez single that made it into his cigars last month. He thought it was one of the best cigars he's ever smoked. I really don't remember dropping it into his bag, or if I have any more in the humidor. You just never know when a cigar will hit someone just right.
I'm sure the were. I'm a big CAO fan. Never had one i didn't thoroughly enjoy, and you are definitely correct that age certainly didn't hurt them any. No idea if they helped, never having had a fresh one of these.

Yeah, the Humidimeter is a fairly recent addition along with environmental conditions, and country of origin for filler and binder, instead of just the wrapper.

It seems as though with every cigar I smoke for review, something comes up and I end up changing or adding something to the form i use while smoking to get instant impressions of everything as i go rather than trying to remember after the fact, especially with my memory damage.

Just glancing back at past reviews since I started including the Humidimeter reading, they are more in the 62%-64% range, but the manufacturer's stated accuracy for it is +/- 2%, so given that, they are all about the same, as they should be coming out of the same tupperdor with 65% Bovedas.

I think my particular one tends to read on the lower side, as even on cigars rott, only 1 or 2 have read 65% or higher. Even given that factored in, its still interesting that it would only be 62% with accuracy correction, since I would think that I have had them long enough to have acclimated to my Boveda Butler verified, way more than needed for the number of cigars in it, 65% Bovedas, 100% air tight and stable tupperdor. Plus I want to say when we discussed it briefly you mentioned that your walk in was at 65%, or if not, certainly close enough for them to have acclimated by now.

All that rambling aside, it was really an outstanding cigar and well deserving of the 97 score, even counting more than just taste alone, which was so good i burned my finger trying to milk out every las puff i could. I fumbled it a little and actually woke up with a blister from it being so short,lol.

If I remember correctly, the 2 of the 3 points it lost were in the appearance/construction section for having a rough feel to it, and 1 in the smoke volume section for being "ample" instead of the highest score of "excellent".

Otherwise it i saw no areas needing to score them lower than the maximum score.

Really looking forward to smoking the Cameroon and especially the Maduro Corona in hopes its just as good as the Magnum.

This is going to be a really tough one to beat with what I have left for review.

I friggin love cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister
 
smbauerllc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Buffalo, WY
Posts: 5,855
Thinking that I will do the Cameroon in either the next review or the one after that for a closer comparison. That 2010 OpusX has been really calling me for a while now, as they are just too strong for me until they get over 3 years on them, so am really curious what 12 years has done as 5 years is the oldest I have had.

Will also try to remember to do the Corona versions of the same blends for comparison soon too

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 08-25-2022 at 08:01 AM.
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #5
HerfManiac
Herf Meister
 
HerfManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Posts: 8,053
An Opus with that many years on it should be spectacular. I had a nearly original release one back around 2003 and it seemed like an entirely different cigar compared to a fresh one.



I made the mistake of smoking my first Opus, a Perfexion#4, on an empty stomach, not realizing it would be so dang strong....
__________________
You four eyed bastard geek peckerwood son of a bitch, you better hope I never see your ugly nerd face in my waking moments or I'll leave you looking like a possum that tried crossing I44 with a blindfold on!---Briandg
HerfManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:19 AM   #6
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister
 
smbauerllc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Buffalo, WY
Posts: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerfManiac View Post
An Opus with that many years on it should be spectacular. I had a nearly original release one back around 2003 and it seemed like an entirely different cigar compared to a fresh one.



I made the mistake of smoking my first Opus, a Perfexion#4, on an empty stomach, not realizing it would be so dang strong....

@HerfManiac

Yeah, I'm thinking it would be.

The nicotine of fresh ones doesn't bother me as I'm a somewhat recently reformed cigarette smoker of 30 years, its just that the flavor is is strong and overwhelming to my palate that I can't taste anything except incredibly strong tobacco.

After just a few years they are dramatically improved though, so at 12 I should really get to be able to pick out all the nuanced flavors, and it should be smooth and mellow.

Definitely looking forward to it.

Really appreciate Bruce including it, as I'm sure they are from his regular smoking rotation like the Don Carlos he also included. Very nice of him to dip into his personal stash for me.

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 08-25-2022 at 09:25 AM.
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:04 AM   #7
Ljutic
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: AR, USA
Posts: 195
Hmmm....that's strange. When you mentioned that stick, I went back and looked at the mail along sheet I had included with the cigars so you would know age of each and I didn't see an Opus on the list. I sold most of my Opus over the years and think I'm down to a single box of 2004 Petit Lanceros. Most of the other boxes I had were all of similar age.

I really don't think that Opus came from me @smbauerllc ? Do you know which size it is?


Quote:
Originally Posted by smbauerllc View Post
@HerfManiac

Yeah, I'm thinking it would be.

The nicotine of fresh ones doesn't bother me as I'm a somewhat recently reformed cigarette smoker of 30 years, its just that the flavor is is strong and overwhelming to my palate that I can't taste anything except incredibly strong tobacco.

After just a few years they are dramatically improved though, so at 12 I should really get to be able to pick out all the nuanced flavors, and it should be smooth and mellow.

Definitely looking forward to it.

Really appreciate Bruce including it, as I'm sure they are from his regular smoking rotation like the Don Carlos he also included. Very nice of him to dip into his personal stash for me.

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by Ljutic; 08-27-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 CAO eXtreme Trois Diamant Corona (L’anniversaire) smbauerllc Cigar Reviews 0 05-27-2022 04:38 AM
2004 CAO eXtreme Trois Diamant Magnum (L’anniversaire) smbauerllc Cigar Reviews 4 05-19-2022 04:49 AM
JR's Weekly Special: CAO Trois Diamant Coronas! Conn Cigar Talk 12 03-20-2003 06:03 PM
CAO Trois Diamant Maduro CigarChik Cigar Talk 0 10-18-2002 08:35 PM
Hey Mr. Huber - Trois Diamant ??? mannish Cigar Talk 8 04-04-2002 04:53 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:26 PM.