Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
westsideelectric
Club Member

Received this as a gift from FineWino yesterday and was so curious I had to smoke it last night and here's a brief review:

First off I want to say it was a beautiful Oregon Summer day...Dark, gray, and pouring down rain. Since I did smoke this cigar in the rain it certainly may have had an effect on the flavor. That being said, this cigar claims to be 50% pre-embargo Havana tobacco and 50% Honduran. The wrapper was a nice medium brown with good construction. A couple of large veins and a little rough on the cap, but nicely rolled and solid feeling. Pre-light, this cigar had a very strong tobacco taste & scent, sweet and earthy and produced that nicotine tingle on the lips and tongue which I like, although I know it turns some people away. Upon lighting, the cigar had a good draw, good smoke volume and a predominantly charred oak and fudge brownie flavor; not sweet, but a bit chewy and earthy. The burn was even and consistent, and I didn't have to re-light, even in the rain. The ash was mottled, gray/ dark gray, and held its shape for about 1" - 1 1/4". Toward the middle of the cigar, the flavor became very full bodied, but not overpowering in strength. In fact, I was surprised how mellow yet how rich the flavor was. Still charred oak and fudge brownies w/ very slight, occasional hints of black pepper and/or leather. The last third of the cigar (I did smoke this to the nub) was still predominantly charred oak and fudge brownies with a hint of chocolate covered cherries and a little bit more leather on the finish. The finish was medium long with the taste of...you guessed it...charred oak and fudge brownies lasting for about 20 min. or so. Although this was not a complex cigar,(OK, it's actually quite one dimensional) I found it to be a pleasant smoke. I think this cigar could be best enjoyed w/ a glass of port or a big, lush, fruity Zinfandel, Syrah, Merlot or Pinot Noir. Perhaps a supper of roast beef, garlic mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus or braised parsnip. Or if you're feeling adventurous, it would pair nicely w/ chile con carne or turkey mole enchiladas, w/ arroz y frijoles and an avocado/jicama salad. No need for dessert, the fudge brownie loaded Pinar 2000 would serve as ample dessert.
I give this cigar an easy B, maybe even a B+ if the moment was right.

Edited by - westsideelectric on 06/18/2002 1:15:03 PM

Edited by - westsideelectric on 06/18/2002 4:21:15 PM
Old 06-18-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
jchamb
Club Member

Great review Glenn!
Old 06-18-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

That's a very good review. I haven't had the pre-embargo cigars but I have the P2000 Super Fuerte and they are very close to what you describe.

Matter of fact, It's time to order more.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 07:37 AM   #4
alfa

I smoked a P2000 belicoso fino last night. Started with quite a kick. Initial flavors are peppery and musty. By halfway, its developed a good range of flavors, and finishes rich and mildly sweet. A really good cigar, nothing about it tastes cuban, but its loaded with ligero.

Edited by - alfa on 06/20/2002 08:27:07 AM
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:55 AM   #5
mstraub

Location: Route de la Cote 22, CH-1615 Bossonnens, Switzerland
Great review. I hope that with a description like that you will encourage some others to do the same.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
Purosdave
Club Member

We should start calling you Glenn Shanken!

I'd rather be driving; either golf balls or my Dodge!
Purosdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 11:12 AM   #7
westsideelectric
Club Member

I've killed people for less than that, Dave.

Quote:
We should start calling you Glenn Shanken!

I'd rather be driving; either golf balls or my Dodge!
Old 06-20-2002, 12:51 PM   #8
JGSa£ty_VI
Club Member

nice review
Old 06-20-2002, 07:53 PM   #9
scott1966
Herf Meister

Good review!
scott1966 is offline   Reply With Quote