Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:18 PM   #1
Choo Choo

Rookie Question:

Why are some brands referred to as "boutique"? Do some companies produce a variety of smokes under different labels?

Thanks, Choo Choo
Choo Choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:46 PM   #2
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

Boutique cigar operations can be compared to small batch bourbons or micro-brews.

Produced in small quantities, they are a destination cigar that you won't find in every smoke shop. Most of these manufacturers use tobacco that has had more time to age properly and roll them using only their hands.

Examples: Indian Tabac, Mayorga

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. --Mark Twain
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
love_this
Club Member

What flipflop said.

La Luna is a popular one in these parts as well.
love_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
Mayhem
Club Member

I dunno guys. You gots some 'splaining to do as to how Mayorga and LaLuna are "boutique" brands.

Don't put gum in my ashtray and I won't put my cigar out in your mouth. Deal?
Old 02-28-2002, 04:03 PM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Cupido is another.

Boutique brands are smaller than the big name labels from the conglomerates. For example General Cigars makes and sells : Macanudo, Partagas, all the Villazon brands, Temple Hall Estates...that's about ten to a dozen brands.
AltadisUSA sells: Don Diego, Montecristo, H. Upmann, Romeo y Julieta, Saint Luis Rey, and about five or six more I can't remember at the moment. Tabacalera Fuente is another; they make cigars for many other brands Sosa, Fonseca, Cuesta Rey, Montesino, Bauza, and many "house brands" in tobacconists around the world. They sell in the range of hundreds of millions of cigars per year as opposed to the boutique brands, even those with large patronage like Mayorga, La Luna, Cupido, Indian Tabac and other even smaller concerns.

"Somehow, strangely, the vice of men gets well represented and protected but their virtue has none to plead its cause--nor any charter of immunities and rights." Henry David Thoreau

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:13 PM   #6
Fishin Phil
Herf God

Good explanation.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:36 PM   #7
sambo
Herf Meister

So what yer sayin' is, to paraphrase.

They makes cigars differenter than them big house boyz? Even though they is all cigars?

Any way you looks at is, I is likin' what I is smokin'.

Thanks TommyBB for the 'splainin'

(this post is not meant to offend, nor cause distress to anyone, if however there is a problem or ill feeling please delete post immediately)
Could it be that I am a cigar snob

Stop ruining my ideology with you logic!
sambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 05:01 PM   #8
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I would add Camacho to this list. They have the distinction of being one of the few maufacturers of any size who grow all of their own tobacco.

"The Texans were my best soldiers. Not once did I see their backs in battle" Robert E. Lee

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 06:11 PM   #9
Mayhem
Club Member

OK, well if the above posts are the consensus, then I can live with it, but I disagree. I consider boutique brands to be more of a marketing concept. Implyed cost, artwork or some other type of "hook" to get it to sell. I consider Lars, Acid and other brands who tried to capitilize on the trend to be boutiques. The brands listed in the other posts; regardless of how many are made, or where they are sold; are cigars made by people who are just trying to appeal to cigar lovers. I'm not sure I'm 'splaing this correctly, but I see a definite difference.

Don't put gum in my ashtray and I won't put my cigar out in your mouth. Deal?
Old 02-28-2002, 06:14 PM   #10
aBuc
Club Member

I agree with flipflop and TommyBB

Moore and Bode

£ aBuc £
I wanna be good. Honest