Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2002, 11:20 PM   #1
solomr2
Herf Meister

A friend split a box of Habano Punch Punch with me, which he bought in Spain. Here's what I think.

Pre-light, the construction seemed flawless, and the color was a very attractive reddish hue that reminds me of red clay from Georgia. The wrapper was smooth and silky, and slightly oily, but not oozing. Before lighting I savored the taste in my mouth for a couple of minutes, and noted that it didn't bite or tingle like many Cuban and other strong cigars do. The draw seemed perfect too, not loose, but certainly not tight.

Upon lighting, I got good volumnous and rich smoke, and I immediately knew I was smoking a Cuban cigar. I've had Monte's and RyJ, which I find very spicy, peppery and typically overpowering. But the Punch had a different, more complex character. I could sense the spice and pepper alright, but in a more suttle and refined way. It had a wonderful earthy core, almost like fresh loam, and the aroma was pleasant with a slight cedary undertone. The taste was very smooth and almost creamy, with faint flavors of spice, pepper, coffee and dried herbs, but without a hint of harshness.

As I smoked past half way, the spice and coffee became a little more pronounced. The flavor was exquisite, with subtle changes about 3 times through the cigar. Best of all, none of the taste or the flavors became overpowering at any time. I smoked this baby till I burned my lips and fingers.

As I finished it I actually felt like lighting another one, but I resisted (for now).

My one minor neg, I had to relight it about 3/4, but otherwise this was probably my most enjoyable Cuban to date.

Now I wish I had the other half of the box!