Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Kentucky’s ‘Buddha of Bourbon’

Pursuent to BigO's "Lift a Glass!" thread, I offer some excerpted portions from a recent article profiling one of Bourbon's great individuals...

Kentucky’s ‘Buddha of Bourbon’

Bruce Schreiner
The Associated Press

Celebrating his 60th year in the business, Jimmy Russell has overseen production of about three million barrels of bourbon as Wild Turkey’s master distiller… Known among his peers as the “Buddha of Bourbon,” Russell is the longest-tenured master distiller in the tradition-filled industry.

Russell still comes to work almost every day and rarely takes a vacation. If he’s not sampling bourbon in a storage warehouse or checking on production, he’s taking a brand-building trip or chatting up distillery guests in the new visitors’ centre.

Jimmy Russell shrugs off his longevity.

“It’s never been a job to me,” Russell said. “It’s something I enjoy doing.”

Russell grew up a few kilometres from the distillery and went to work there Sept. 10, 1954 at age 19.

When he started, the distillery produced about 60 barrels a day. Now production is about 560 barrels daily, he said.

“This is the best time that I’ve seen,” Russell said. “When I started, bourbon was a Southern gentleman’s drink. Now it’s become a worldwide drink.”

Cheers to Jimmy!