Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
mrkmitch
Club Member

PSD4 from Jan '03....Wow

I've had this January of '03 box of PSD4's resting comfortably in my cooler'dor since March of '04. It was a special occasion this weekend, and a moment shared with my borther, that prompted pulling out a couple of these. The PSD4 is an all time favorite of any cigar, but I had yet smoked one with this kind of age on it.

The cigar had a shiny dark natural wrapper with very small light veining. You could just begin to see where some sparkles were begining to form on the wrapper, visable in the directed lighting of the Rathskellar restaurant, where these were enjoyed. The familiar scent of barn yard and tobacco were immediately appreciated upon trimming the cap. A tall cold "Porter" was the libation of choice, an excellent partner in this endeavor.

Where the "younger" PSD4s always impressed me with their bold spiceyness, the flavor development, and general "umph" (or the "gut punch" as some call it), I was totally taken with this mature Cuban smoke. The complex flavor development was awsome, with the recognizable nuances of herbal spices and earthy tobacco, of wooded meadows and new mown grass, now interlaced with hints of nutmeg, and leather. The smoke was cool and billowed with full bodied blue-gray swirls. The freakled gray ash hung on mightily until edged into the ash tray at about 1 1/2"

The finish was driven by flavors of wood and herbal spices with overtones of smooth tobacco. A very nice long finsh to the smoke. The construction was flawless, requiring no flame touch up or special burn treatments through out the hour long plus period of total enjoyment.

I'm thankful I've keept my hands off this box for this long, as is my brother I'm sure, and look forward to the special rewards of keeping the balance resting comfortably for a while longer. Although, I do think I may move 4 or 5 of these up to my Cuban reach in 'dor, just so I can easily reach something "special" from time to time. If I do that, I know the definition of "special" will become something a little more opportunistic.

I've read, and marveled, at many reviews here of aged smokes, and wondered how in the world you can keep your hands off one of your favoite smokes for months, or years, at a time. Now having experienced the rewards I can say without hesitation, aging is a beautiful thing.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
mrkmitch is offline   Reply With Quote