Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR 2015 Flor D'Crossier Selection 512

It's another winsome day in Greater New Orleans, nary a cloud in the gorgeous azure sky. Being a fatso, I did about thirty minutes of digging in one of the front gardens, it's been years since that happened. Any way, my body told me I had done enough for the day, but there's plenty of day left before taking the family to Mass later.

It's high time for a cigar, no? Lovely Sunday afternoon, some work done. I don't mind if I do.

I promised Isaias Santana Diaz that I would give this cigar a go, and I am finally, nine months later, here we go. This is a new line for him, the Flor D'Crossier Selection 512. The website indicates that this beauty is medium-bodied with Dominican filler, the bunch is bound with Costa Rican leaf, and the wrapper is the sensation of 2015, the Ecuadoran capa.

The Ecuadoran wrapper a lightish color, but it's some pretty, expertly rolled and with a lovely cap.

It's a bit blurry, but this phone doesn't do well up close. I can see that it shows the cap clearly enough, however.

This is listed on the sticker and the website as coronas gordas which check in at a 46 ring gauge and 5˝ inches in length. If you might not remember, I wrote of these cigars in my IPCPR 2015 Notes and Dispatches. These are sold in resealable cans of 20. Santana told me that this is a concept he arrived at so that retailers could save some shelf space and still sell his cigars. They are designed to sit in a rack at the end of the shelves.

This guy lit on three matches, the first one blew right out. I haven't drawn on it in a little bit, now, but see smoke curling from the foot of the cigar, as the burn evens out from my poor lighting technique. It's a rather dry smoke, as in dry wine or champagne. There's an undertone of leather, and just a kiss of cedar.

The smoke volume is just right, not too much, but then, for me, there's no such thing as too much. However, other smokers may prefer a little less. It smells wonderful, I would enjoy this one if someone else was smoking it. I have always liked that.

Edit 1:
There's now a bit of sweetness beginning to emerge, but so slight as to really compliment the rest of the flavors, I'm getting as I near the two inch mark. It's quite enjoyable up to now.

Edit 2:
It's a bit sweeter now, moreso than the last edit. It's got a sort of café au lait with a lot of sugar to it flavor, now. This is not unappealing, in the least, although I've had to slow down on it, now as I approach the band. If I rush, it could get harsh.

Edit 3:
Now past the band, which I removed, and it's remained consistent these last couple of inches. It has not become harsh or charred-tasting. It has a little punch to it, though as the end nears.

This is a worthwhile cigar as are the other D'Crossier blends I have enjoyed over the last couple years. Do seek these out and I hope you are rewarded as I have been.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 04-03-2016 at 01:09 PM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote