Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

red dot

I bought a box of toros from jr, about a year ago, I guess. it was mostly for nostalgic reasons, as I used to sell hundreds of red dot perfectos to a favored customer of mine. This was the maduro toro, a broadleaf wrapped short filler, with some jamaican filler. I hoped for the best, and didn't mind too much being disappointed.

I thought I reviewed them earlier, and found them to be pretty useless. HOt, tasteless, and badly constructed.

A year later, they are not so harsh, smell and taste a little better, fairly good, in fact, but still are so loosely filled that the cotton ball density of the filler can't generate enough heat to burn the wrapper. Better filled or longer filler would have made an acceptibly decent yard gar out of it. As it is, like so many cheap cut filler smokes, I've used enough butane to grill a 16 ounce ribeye trying to keep it going. Out of all the things I dislike about a cigar, that is probably top of the list.

Addendum:

I threw it away at about 3 inches or so, as it had gone out once again and was nothing but a shell with a half inch or more of burned filler inside a tube of barely scorched wrapper.

I guess the way to smoke those is once in a while hit it with really hard, hot puffs, rather than calmly puff away like a good long filler smoke. I should have tried coronas, maybe.

Last edited by Briandg; 06-24-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote