Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

2006 Tignanello

On Thursday, I took a lunchtime walk (from work) to the nearby Sociéte des Alcools de Québec outlet (which just happens to be one of my favourites... very pleasant and knowledgeable staff there). Coincidentally, the store had just received a rather large shipment of 2006 Italian wines, most of them from Tuscany.

Upon seeing me mulling over some of the Super-Tuscans, one of the attendants immediately flew into the rear storage area of the store, returned with a tasting glass and a crystal carafe of 2006 Tignanello, and proceeded to pour me some of the wine. He had decanted the Tignanello at 9:00 that morning, so it had been aerating for over 4 hours by the time I got to it.

First impressions:

Deep red hue. A rather restrained fragrance at first, though vigorous swirling did release subtle scents of fruits and spices along with vegetal side-notes. On the palate, the wine seemed tightly structured. The tannins, though of a very fine consistency, were firm and dry. And the oak, as yet, appeared not fully integrated with the grape input. I discerned nice sensations of ripe plum fruit as well as faint touches of toast and vanilla along with, once again, some faint hints of garden greenery.

This is certainly one of the most Bordeaux-like Tignanellos I've tasted. It undoubtedly has great potential for medium-term cellaring. Were I contemplating broaching the 2006, I don't think I'd bother going near it again for at least another 4 to 5 years.

Year in, year out, one of the most stylish and best-executed Sangiovese-Cabernet blends coming out of Tuscany. Up to you to decide whether or not it's worth the asking price (CDN$99 in my neck of the woods).

One last, quite sobering thought... My first vintage experience of Tignanello was with the 1977, an unusual issue in that 1977 was the last year in which Antinori utilized a Sangiovese-Canaiolo mélange (before switching over to the more familiar Sangiovese-Cabernet blend). The price back in the early 1980s? CDN$7.75!

See what fame and inflation do for us wine lovers.