Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
NolanE
Club Member

Lockwood Partners' Reserve (Cab/Malbec)

if you see this under $30, BUY ON SITE

I don't know how many stores are going to have this wine, but my store does a winery-direct deal with Lockwood. Generally they do great sub-$15 bottles, but this reserve is amazing.

95% cabernet, 5% malbec (2004). Fruit forward, classic California style red blend. This competes with wines three times its price (and I've been spoiled by Fourteen Appellations, Krupp's The Doctor, Clark-Claudon Cab, etc).

Just finished the bottle (my enthusiasm may not be near this level while getting ready for work in the morning), and I am seriously impressed. 100% estate grown, produced and bottled. 692 cases made, so jump on this one (especially Houston BOTLs who shop at Spec's).

The one thing I noticed about this wine is that it took a minimal amount of time to "open up" as many reds take a good deal of time. Within 10 minutes of cork removal this juice was ready to drink. Of course it got better within the 2 hours it took to drink, but I've had many French wines that took 2-3 hours to remove the "funk" that plagues so many young Bordeaux wines.

This post may require editing in the morning.