Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Augie754

Oliva Special S Diadema (7 x 48)

Oliva Special S Diadema
Cigar Size = 7 x 48
Country of Origin = Nicaragua
Wrapper = Ecuadorian Sun-Grown
Binder = Nicaraguan
Filler = Nicaraguan Habano
Purchased From = CigarBid.com
Purchase Date = 2007-09-26
Purchase price = $5.16
Smoke Date = 2008-07-09
Location/Occasion = Ash's, Westerville, Oh
Weather Conditions = 77°F, 52% humidity, few clouds

Appearance = 8.6
This cigar was a basically a churchill size perfecto, straight sides without lumps and tapered at the foot. It was cedar wrapped, which seemed a bit awkward since the taper at the foot and the cedar went past the beginning of the taper (maybe the cedar just slide down too far). The wrapper was brown with a bit of tooth and had a small amount of color variance. The veins were small and overall looked like a well made cigar. The band design was clean and classic and it really dressed up the cigar, one of the better designed bands in my opinion.

Construction = 8.5
The cigar was firm with just one small soft spot right in the middle. After a clean cut the pre-smoke draw was tight, and was still tight after lighting. Of course, after I got past the taper it opened up and was about right, just a little too much resistance. The burn started canoeing almost immediately, and by the time I got past the taper it was still burning at an angle. The good news was that after an inch, it evened out without any touch-ups and stayed even the rest of the way. It burned cool and the ash was a solid light gray.

Taste = 8.3
The pre-smoke flavor was woody, and after lighting it had quick spicy burst. It's flavor settled down to spices and cedar with some sweetness. This continued for most of the cigar It's flavor and body was medium strength, and definitely not overpowering. The finish was short and pleasant. Solid clean flavors but no real "wow" factor.

Overall
I'm not the biggest fan of perfecto shaped cigars, but this burnt better than most that I've had in the past. It would be a nice morning cigar or a good cigar for someone who enjoys something light and flavorful. Although, I think the robusto would be better suited for me.

Appearance = 8.6 x 1
Construction = 8.5 x 3
Taste = 8.3 x 6
Overall = 8.39
Strenth Rating = Medium

Rating scale:
10.0 - 9.5 = buy at any price
9.5 - 9.0 = premium price box worthy
9.0 - 8.5 = box worthy
8.5 - 8.0 = single or 5 pack worthy
8.0 - 7.0 = single worthy if dirt cheap
7.0 - 6.0 = will smoke if given for free