Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
NiceAsh
Owner Emeritus

Premium Tequila

So, just got back from another sunny trip to Cabo San Lucas. We stopped in to the local liquor store, La Europea, where they have a fantastic selection of hard liquor and wine. They also offer tastings of many of the different brands. Last time we were in cabo we picked up a bottle of Maestro Tequilero Tequila Anejo and it was consumed way too quickly, before we found out that it was not sold in the States. So, we picked up a new bottle of that, and a couple smaller ones.

While we were browsing I noticed that they had a couple really high end bottles, one of them was Gran Patrón Platinum @ $300/bottle, Don Julio Real @ $350/bottle and Herradura Seleccion Suprema @ $300/bottle.

I have not had the privledge to try any of these "extra" anejos, has anyone out there sampled any of these really high end Tequilas ?

I find that the better ones can be sipped and enjoyed like a fine scotch or brandy.

Tasty stuff
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Herradura Reposado (~$35/bottle) works for me, in a snifter, neat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
samiam2
Club Member

Tequila makes my clothes fall ..ah..it gives me a head ache....not sure why, but i would like to try the ones that are drinkable neat...
Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
scubadoo97
Club Member

Any good 100% blue agave tequila can be enjoyed neat, from blanco to anejo.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
jb
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

MD thnx for the recommendation. My experience w/ good tequila straight has only gone as far as Patron silver. Any more recommendations?
ISO Opus DCs, RdC, Perf X, #2, and Super Beli. PM if you can help! TIA.
jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo97 View Post
Any good 100% blue agave tequila can be enjoyed neat, from blanco to anejo.
Concur on the blue agave, though I've found that I don't much care for the silvers, and actually prefer reposados to anejos.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

the good stuff ain't for doing shots, and there is way more good stuff out there. I do like it, especially in summer with a cigar. I've not gotten beyond Patron's offerings. I had like a teaspoonful of the extremely expensive Patron one time - it was very, very, very good, but at a couple hundred a bottle it would need to perform an act on me...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
scubadoo97
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Concur on the blue agave, though I've found that I don't much care for the silvers, and actually prefer reposados to anejos.
Me too. Reposados and anejos are great for sipping and reposados are my fav. There are a lot of good tequilas that cost way less than Patron. Gran Centenario and Tapatio are in my bar at the moment as well as Azul, a low priced tequila from The House of Gran Centenario. Nice fruity floral taste from a reposado that is about 20 bucks.