Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Christofori
Starting Member

IPCPR Gurkha Cellar Reserve 18 year

Gurkha Cellar Reserve 18 Year Hedonism

Gurkha Cellar Reserve 18 Years
CIGAR SHAPE: Perfecto
CIGAR SECTION: Round
CIGAR LENGTH: 6"
ORIGIN: Dominican Republic
CIGAR RING GAUGE: 58
STRENGTH: FULL
WRAPPER COLOR: Colorado Maduro
CIGAR MANUFACTURER: Gurkha Cigars
CIGAR WRAPPER: Corojo
CIGAR BINDER: Cameroon
CIGAR FILLER: Nicaragua

Pre-light: Smooth even construction, one single vein along the length, with a medium brown wrapper, pinched foot and a pig tail cap.
Wonderful aroma of Tobacco, with leather.

Clipped and tasted, easy draw, reminiscent of Turkish tobacco's, with a woody hint, and some barn yard almost grassy flavor, (like a field of new-mown hay).

Light: Lit well and produced a warm toasted aroma, a little hay in the plume of swirling smoke, it drew cleanly and settled into a crisp burn line within a couple of minutes.
The wood came through, and the leather too, the mouth was silky and a little creamy.

1/3rd There was a touch of bitterness in the beginning of this smoke, I purged it a couple of times and that sorted it out, I don't know it that was down to ho I lit it, or to the filler, (probably the first).
The ash was light gray and solid, the first fall was at about 1 3/4", the cherry was burning a perfect cone, I was paying attention to other things and just before the second third, the cigar went out.

I left it for about 10 minutes before I re-toasted the cigar and got it lit again.

2/3rd The smoke continued to be silky smooth in the mouth, tastes of leather and wood, with a little light sweetness on the lips, there was a touch more of the hay in the middle third.
The second ash fall was just short of the band, as with other Gurkha Cellar Reserves the band is a 2" whopper, the band moved easily and even slide off the cap without needing to be peeled.

Just as I moved into the 3/3rd it became bitter in the mouth, I purged it but this time it failed to take, and I finished it at the end of the second third.

The flavor was medium - full, the construction was good, but I was disappointed by the bitter finish.

Prelight = 9
Light = 9
Construction = 8
Flavor = 5
Power = 7
Average of 7.6

George Dennison Prentice
Christofori is offline   Reply With Quote