Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
jwrussell
Herf Meister

The incredible increasing humidity hygro...

Anyone ever run into this before?

I have a radio shack remote system with three remotes and a base. Two of the remotes are pretty much spot on (1% off on one, spot on on the other) and one that reads quite high. Between 3-5% (I'm trying to figure it out now). Here's the deal:

I have a humidipak calibration kit that I'm using to check my hygros. I keep them in the pack for about 36 hours just to be absolutely sure they are on. The first two remotes settled down within 24 hours and pretty much sat still until I took them out around 36 hours. This last little fu**er, excuse my fr**ch , is screwing with me. I had it labled at +5% (yeah, nice huh?) and yet it was reading low as far as I could tell on the top shelf of the wine cooler. I had it inside a half empty cab and it was keeping track almost perfectly with the hygro sitting on the shelf that reads spot on. In otherwords, when the hygro on the shelf hit it's top most RH reading (as it fluctuates out in the open air of the cooler) it would read the same as the hygro inside the cab. So, when I put this remote unit into the calibration kit, I decided to see if, for some reason, a temp difference was the issue. So I put the remote in the kit, stuck the kit inside the empty cab on top of the shelf and off we went. Here are my results:

Spot on to start with. 75%. Since then, over the past couple of days, it's crept upwards a point at a time to a current reading of 79%. It's been in there for 3 days now and I'm just leaving it there to see what it does. I just don't get it. It always reads perfectly within hours of being put in the calibration kit, but the longer I leave it in, the more it seems to creep up.

Any thoughts? I'm going to leave it in there for a week or so and see what happens. Depending on what happens I may try replacing the battery and recalibrating. If it's still doing the same thing it's probably going in the trash.
jwrussell is offline   Reply With Quote