Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Why Not Cuban cigars with Cuban names...

...oftentimes suck. I was discussing this with my smoking partner the other day. I have smoked Not Cuban cigars with Cuban names and found them to be generally not good. As a rule I stay away from them.
The black label cohiba I smoked some years ago I actually tossed after not very much smoking. It was terrible. It defined the term dog rocket.
Earlier this week I smoked a (Honduran?) Bolivar and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't really good either. Kind of just dead strong with no nuance. I like a little nuance. That said, I smoked it. A mediocre cigar is a helluva lot better than no cigar!
My buddy says it's because of my expectations. I have smoked the Cuban versions and the Not Cuban versions suffer by comparison. When I draw on the Not Cuban, my brain expects the Cuban flavor. When there is a different flavor my brain is sadly disappointed. If the cigar is very bad, my brain may even be angry.
So in closing I will say: If you haven't smoked a Cuban cigar, don't. You will be happier in the long run.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote