Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
mannish
Herf God

Yes seen Jr Kimbrough several times but honestly he bored me - Hill country has that monotonous groove which is very few chord changes, sometimes just one chord songs.
RL moved me though. Fred McDowell did that hill country sound and some gospel with his wife - defintely one of the most influential. A lot of Bonnie Raitts slide licks are totally Mississppi Fred McDowell who she played with often back in the day - Fred's manager became Bonnie's manger up until the Nick of Time record so she got to play with lots of those blues guys.

I was in Clarksdale, T-Model Ford & his wife was having an argument he got on stage still arguing with her while he was up there. It was hilarious & as entertaining as the music.

A LOT of younger people like Jimbo Mathus, Miss Allstars, Lightnin' Malcom, Richard Johnston..etc that still play some of the hill country style learned by hanging out at Kimbroughs place which I think has since burnt down

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DCJ View Post
Mannish

if you saw him I sure envy you

I would assume then that you have also seen Junior Kimbrough ...

I have heard a little of Fred Mcdowell , and some T-Model Ford...

If I had discovered RL and Junior before they died I would have made a trip to see them for sure , I remember when I first heard them , I was whoa who is this , I liked the raw aspect of it etc.. haven't heard anything else like them...

I believe their sound is indicative of the Mississippi Hills blues sound ??

Dan