Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
vipe

fvfanmc's Mystery Cigar #1-4 Review

This cigar was #1 of 4 mystery cigars courtesy of fvfanmc , the proclaimed - The Fat Bastard.

So after going 2 weeks without a single cigar I embarked on this big cigar.

The natural wrapper cigar was a good 6 inches or so and a fat ring gauge (55+ ?). There were some darker blemish spots and the wrapper was slighted damaged in an oval shape an inch from the head.

Prelight draw was very faint but still had some of the plastic wrap smell to it that the cigar was wrapped in. The cut was easy, even with the cigar giving sponge-like resistance. In retrospect, if I had a punch it would have been better suited.

Once toasted and lit, I let the cigar settle into an even burn which remained throughout the remainder of the cigar.

The first half of the cigar had little going on. I would say it was even less than mild. About a 1/2 inch into the cigar I tasted what I thought would amount to the cigar becoming spicy but that followed quickly with some citrus like flavor. Even then, it reverted back to being a light smoke. The ash was perfect though, holding at 2 inches at the first drop. I would say the profile was like a 4th generation cousin of a domestic montecristo.

The next 1/4 of the cigar became a bit bitter and eventually was purged. This portion was comparable to what I remember as closely to a Arturo Fuente Brevas Royal. Which lead me into the last quarter of the cigar...

For about half inch the cigar became very peppery. I was really enjoying the tingling on the tastebuds it provided. But alas, it didn't last long. The cigar reverted back into a mild and slightly bitter flavor. I finally let it RIP with about an inch left on it.

Pros: Number of flavor changes, Some nice pepper, burn was razor-like even
Cons: Half was too mild, some bitterness

I'm more of a maduro and smaller cigar smoker but it was a nice change of pace. However, it won't be a cigar I would buy after finding out what it is - no matter the price. After the (too) long of absence of a cigar I'm craving for something spectacular now.