Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
jdrabinski
Club Member

Montecristo C Edicion Limitada

Well, it was time to break one of these overpriced smokes out of the cabinet.

The Montecristo C Edicion Limitada is a beautiful smoke in a gorgeous box. The wood and varnish on the box make the presentation decadent, and so opening the box to select the first to meet fire was all the more enhanced. I must admit, though, that it made me miss the old Montecristo bands.

The cigar itself was typical of most of the Edicions Limitada: beautiful dark wrapper, damp and shiny in appearance, happy second bands, excellent construction. The cap clipped nicely and the draw was simply perfect. The cigar had a nice cedary and musty smell to it, and my prelight draw tasted of sweet cedar and tobacco. My lighter easily lit the foot and we were rolling. Though the cigar was tightly rolled and heavy to the touch, the ash was looser than I expected. Not to the point of being a bother, but it did catch my attention.

This corona gorda was immediately a flavor treat. There is no doubt that this is a Montecristo, with the signature sweetness to the tobacco and a lot of nutty flavors, but it did remind me more of the Montecristo Seleccion Robusto than the regular line in that there was a bit more punch to the flavors. Not overpowering, but a bit broader and more intense across the palate. The finish was long and serious, but always with a subtle touch.

The dominant flavor in this smoke was a sweet and cedary tobacco. I'd call this medium-bodied both in terms of strength and flavor body...certainly on the high end of medium. Around this lovely tobacco clustered light coffee, mellow wood with oiliness, musty earthiness, walnut tastes, hints of vanilla and nutmeg, and a very pleasant flintiness all around the flavor body. The tobacco flavor dominated, yes, but it did have a number of fine companions. My complaint is only that those companions did not have enough of a starring role. They deserve more prominence.

Not a whole lot of complex development of flavors. There was quite a lot in play in this cigar, but the flavors kept consistent (remarkably so!) from first light to end, with only a bit of thickening of flavor in the final 1/3.

I am putting this box in the back of the cabinet for another nine months to a year, at which point I'll check in again. This is not because the cigar is too young to smoke; to the contrary, it smokes quite well and not at all like a fresh stick. But I think time will add complexity to this rather straightforward smoke. I do like these flavors a lot. Still, I think that age will mellow some of the strength of the tobacco and allow the more subtle tastes that now lie on the margins of the flavor body to move to the center with more elegance. This is a punchy cigar, but with ballet skills. Time will bring strength and gentility, I suspect.

Then again, I'm just guessing here.

John
jdrabinski is offline   Reply With Quote