Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 09-24-2002, 04:25 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Cigar scene (been smoking seriously for 6 months now) and I had a question about cooladors.
I have the cooler (48), lined it with cedar, bought my Propylene Glycol and Distilled water and the florist gave me a brick of Oasis Floral foam. My question is this....How large should my piece of Oasis foam be to satisfy the cooler? I'm assuming I can cut this thing down into several chunks to accommodate more coolers if I needed to.
Thanks for all your help. Looking forward to dropping by this place often.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
love_this
Club Member

Welcome to CW, HOT RATS.

You could tell us a bit more about yourself by filling in your profile.

I've never seen exact specifications. You asked a very good question. I can answer from experience. For a 48 quart cooler, a good start would be to use 2 plastic soap dishes. This should be more than enough to stabilize your coolidor.

If you can, fill the cooler as much as you can, even if you don't have the cigars to fill it. (That won't take long). If you can, fill the coolidor with empty cigar boxes. The wood in the boxes will help stabilize your humidity.

Good luck.
love_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:28 PM   #3
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

I agree with what love_this says.

BtW, welcome to CWBB
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
mingc
Club Member

Yeah, what love_this sez.

I use one kitchen-sponge size oasis, approx. 3" X 4" x 1", for each of my 20 qt rubberdors. I figure two such sized babies will do you just fine.

Edited by - mingc on 09/24/2002 7:36:35 PM
Old 09-24-2002, 06:16 PM   #5
Oppie X
Herf Meister

I just took one of my wifes tupperware containers that is square in shape and small enough to velcro to the door.Cut a piece of oasis to fit and done.This setup has worked for over 3 yrs in 2 coolers.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:59 PM   #6
scubadoo97
Club Member

Welcome aboard!
I started with a soap dish size for a 60 qt. If you start with more just wait until the RH gets up to 70+ and it will most likley climb quickly. Then cut back until you have the RH you want and it seems stable. Coolers are so air tight that it really doesn't take much oasis foam to do a good job. I found that as I added cedar boxes of cigars that the RH would drop until the new wood absorbs some moisture and then it goes back up. Just make sure your hygrometer is calibrated. Digitals work the best IMO.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:53 AM   #7
Castanza
Club Member

Welcome aboard!
I found that by using one of the inexpensive round humidifiers that comes with a lot of humidors, is working fine. I originally had 2 & that was a little to much. I guess since it is pretty much airtight it holds the humidity at a steady level. I try to open it at least once a week to let new air in, and let any ammonia that may have formed out.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:30 PM   #8
TOJE
Herf God

I keep the water drain plug open in mine....this way if I don't get to look at the little babies on a weekly basis air is still getting in.
Welcome to the BB!

(_<CAO>_____]]]]~~
TOJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:40 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone for all of the input on this. Your help and ideas are greatly appreciated. Time for a smoke.