Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Romeo y Julieta Romeo No. 2 (MAY 2010)

Whoa, it's been a long time since I've done a cigar review. I'm currently serving with my National Guard unit here in sunny southern Iraq and sitting out enjoying the night-time temperatures of about 80 degrees. It's a nice calm night, with little wind, and a perfect time to relax with a cigar after a busy day of logistics planning. My wife was kind enough to send me a box of Romeo No. 2's in a care package and I've been plowing through them. It has the added advantage of being in tubes, hence lasting well with no real humidor available to keep them in. The Romeo No. 2 was one of the first (legitimate) Havanas I ever smoked back in the day and has always had a special spot in my heart, even though it's certainly not the queen of the marca.

Romeo y Julieta
Romeo No. 2
5 1/8 x 42 Mareva (RAB MAY 10)

Prelight: Packaged in a classy-looking red and white tube. The screw-caps on this box aren't all that well made, as they tend to pop back to loose whenever you try to tighten them down too hard. The cigar is itself was pretty nice looking for a tubo-packaged smoke. Wrapper was between colorado claro and colorado. Nice and smooth with a little oily sheen to it and just a few veins visible. Cut easily with my Palio. Nice, sweet, straight-up tobacco on the prelight draw.

Beverage: Diet Coke (I'm in friggin' Iraq, alright? Not like fine Scotch or a craft-brewed beer is readily available )

Taste: Lit very easily with my cheap Djeep butane lighter (did bring a nicer one with me, but it's out of fuel and I have no faith in the crappy-looking butane available in the counterfeit-ridden smoke shop on post). The taste is classic Romeo. Very sweet, straight tobacco flavor, nice undertone of Spanish cedar and those beautiful nuances of tropical flowers. Sweet cane sugar water on the tongue, with a woody and straight-up tobacco aftertaste. Has to be enjoyed slowly, as I've found that puffing it too frequently makes it quickly become too woody, probably due to the smaller ring gauge. No real spice to speak of, as is usual for a Romeo, and the tannins are already very very low, which is also usual for the marca. On the retro-hale, the aroma and flavor is also sweet, with a little bit of gumball and maybe just a hint of licorice. About two-thirds down, the profile is much the same, but it started to get a little bit chocolatey here and there. In the final third, the woody flavors tended to dominate, as they usually do in the last bits. Toasty and warm.

Construction: The draw was ideal, not too airy and not tight. It had a rock solid ash on it that held tight, yet easily came off with a light tap. Only thing I can really ding it on is that the burn was well-behaved at first, but then started getting a little troublesome at the halfway point and it did go out on me once.

Summary: For only a year old, all the cigars from this box have tasted much the same and all have performed quite admirably. Very, very consistent and I'm already more than half-way through it. Though I am getting a little tired of them, as it's the only cigars available to me and I've smoked quite a few of them, Romeo y Julieta has always been a very dependable brand for me and is in that sweet spot where it's just good for any time of day or any occasion.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote