Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Churchill

Nica Rustica by Drew Estate

Nica Rustica by Drew Estate

This stick debuted last year but I haven’t had an opportunity to smoke one until today, and I haven’t seen it reviewed here so I thought I’d offer my impressions.

Appearance/Construction-True to it’s name, the Nica Rustica has a rugged, rustic appearance. It is rolled with a dull medium brown wrapper featuring a shag foot and a small pigtail cap. Pre-light aroma is earthy and this note carries over prominently into the flavor profile. Small veins are present, seams are nearly indiscernible. Draw is just about perfect. No unraveling issues or flame touch ups required . Burn was very even, ash was initially loose but after an inch tightened up. The Nica Rustica is offered in one size, 6x52.

Smoking/Tasting-First draw is earthy with mocha, espresso, dark cocoa notes. Marketed as a “full” strength cigar, I found it to be “med-full” with some strength building in the final third. The stick produces copious amounts of rich, dense, white, creamy smoke. Very satisfying in that regard. I would offer just one criticism of the flavors...I found them to be fairly one dimensional. I kept hoping and looking for some complexity to build, but it is not there. This is a very good cigar to be sure, just not one that will drive you nuts trying to identify a broad spectrum of different and changing flavor notes.

I smoked mine with some nice Costa Rica high grown coffee in the Bodum. The cocoa/espresso notes in the cigar ran nicely along side a good strong black coffee.