Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2002, 07:26 PM   #3
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

Everybody knows about Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Jonny Lang. And there is a kid from here in Jackson that is better than both of them combined--Patrick Harkins. No telling if he'll make it, but he is way good enough.

Also check out Cory Stevens. A little softer, and he even looks like Stevie but with a beard.

Rory Gallagher was with a band from the late 60's that played the Isle of White festival. He died in the 80's or before, but I don't know particulars. Check him out when you are searching for something. The BBC Sessions (2 CD) is great, in my opinion.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was THE BEST. I'm listening to vol. 2 of his greatest hits and can't get enough. Boxed set is over the top-even has DVD with 5 unreleased songs from Austin City Limits (last show). Both shows were great.

But, what you need to see.....sit down first.....and you better hold on.....is Live at the El Mocambo. Trust me. If you haven't seen it, you are missing a great Lenny and Third Stone from the Sun. It is by far the best live Stevie I've seen. COMPLETELY OFF THE HOOK UNREAL--in my opinion. If you haven't seen it, don't argue; no "buts"; don't walk--run and find it and rent it or buy it, but watch it. It's what I would show a non-believer to convince them about Stevie.

I just wish that I could have seen him do "Life by the Drop." And I wish MTV would replay his 3 "Unplugged" songs.

Edited by - catdeddy on 08/11/2002 8:26:42 PM