Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 AM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

INFO?

Just a Question.(or two...)

Is there a newbie Primer for Pipes?

Usually there is a Sticky or Mods Statement on the first page of the rooms here. Has anyone put together a FAQ Page or something like that for recent converts? I have done lots of Googling to get info. But, i've found several conflicting views on Storage, How to grade Tobacco and no objective information about Pipes in general.

Example What's a good pipe by type or price range. Retailers many times will tell You. The best pipes "Just happen to be What they currently have in stock"
Are there any data bases for comparing pipes or is it all word of mouth(or type) and hit or miss?

I've seen pipes here locally from $19.95 to $265.00. I know that materials used and Craftmanship vary greatly. Plus the concept of "Collectable Pipes", I know I am just scratching the surface. Plus Most career Pipers have Many in their collections. Some numbering in the hundreds.

Tobacco's: Is there a general norm for Humidity? What about Aging? Is it better to leave sealed tins, sealed to age? Is there a shelf life issue? Do any of You Create Your own Blends? Are the Tobaccos sensitive to temparature, Mold or bugs?

What is considered normal usage? Is it a good Idea to rotate your pipes?
These all are things that a completely new person, Like me would want to know.

I don't expect all answers to be found in one place and I Do believe that 'Personal Experience' is important, but mudane or "Common Knowledge" info could save time and mistakes.

What book should every Piper have in His Personal Library?

Just asking?

TIA

Slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote