Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Uncle Booga

A Couple More Perdomo Reviews

Last week I posted a review of the Perdomo Cuban Parejo and said I was going to be following up with a couple other Perdomo products. Here they are:

La Tradicion Perdomo Reserve (Red Label) - No. 5 Maduro
6 3/4 inches X 54 torpedo
Filler/binder is Nicaraguan
Wrapper is Ecuadorian Maduro

This is truly a gorgeous looking cigar - dark., oily wrapper that looks good enough to eat. Dry-boxed the cigar for about 10 days. Clip was clean and even, with initial dry draw easy with a hint of spice. The cigar lit very nicely, but shortly into the smoke it developed an uneven burn. I thought I could live with it, but it continued to worsen so I finely had to even it up. That lasted a bit, but a little more than halfway through, it started getting uneven again and lasted that way until the end.

The ash was a medium gray and lasted until it was about an inch-and-a-half long before I tapped it off. Strength wise it is a medium strong cigar with an initial pleasant coffee taste. About halfway through it kicks things up a bit with some heady spice and pepper tones. During the last third of the cigar, it mellows out again back to the coffee taste.

I’ve smoked these before and find them to be an amiable and enjoyable smoke. But, as I recall, the burn problem is a characteristic issue.

Perdomo2 Descartes Maduro (Yellow band)
7 inches X 50 box press
Filler/binder/wrapper is Nicaraguan

This cigar sat in my dry box right next to the No. 5 La Tradicion until I torched it. Cut was also clean with an initially tight dry draw, which loosened up after lighting. This is a densely packed medium strength cigar. Didn’t have a hint of trouble with the burn on this baby, it was even throughout. The ash is a dark gun-metal gray that seems to be
almost bonded to the cigar with adhesive - lasted almost to two inches before falling off.

The cigar starts off with a heavy, earthy taste that mellows a little bit during the second half of the cigar, but not much. The taste is not a complex one, but to me, certainly was a pleasant one. There seemed to be a hint of sweetness at the end of the cigar, but certainly no bitterness or harshness at the end.

The Perdomo2s are some of my favorite Perdomo products. As I sat outside smoking it, I had this mental image of smoking one of these babies while sitting in a dark alcove somewhere reading a book on a stormy evening - it just feels like a very nice and friendly smoking companion.