Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
Rhino
Club Member

RyJ Robusto EL

Now this is my first foray into the RyJ brand so I was not quite sure what to expect, especially from an Edicion Limitada. However, looking at this baby in my humidor got to be way too much self-control, so I took the plunge and took it with me to a softball game. Conditions were slightly windy, with temp about 78-80 F or about 25-26 C, sunny with little cloud cover, 7:30 pm.

The robusto classic shape, but the wrapper was a very smooth, oily, very dark specimen. I was immediately impressed with how solid it felt, but the 'give' was there for the squeeze test. The triple cap was clean and precise, with the edges all around very crisp. Cut was very clean with no hangers or hard spots. Pre-light draw was easy, not having to work hard to get an adequate pull.

Lighting this cigar was one of the easiest I've ever had to do. It took to the flame straight away, but didn't burn hot at all. The smoke from the first draw was a little light, but thickened up appreciatively very quickly after that. Thick gobs of smoke rose from this beauty as I was reminded of chocolate and leather. The ash was a very dark grey, tons of plume present throughout. It held up very well, as I only had to ash 3 times from start to finish.

The flavor profile on this cigar is not simple. The only other cigar that had this effect on me, so far, has been a Partagas Serie D No3 EL. There are very subtle degrees of flavor depending on where you are in the cigar. The first part, as I inidcated above, gave me an almost dark chocolate flavor overall, with a full bodied aftertaste I usually find after a good steak. As I worked into it however, I got more of a calmed down version of that, along with hints of cedar and something I would liken to 'meaty'. I loved it as I felt like I had just been satisfied by a very good filet. This stayed to varying degrees through the whole stick. The finish didn't just slide right by without you noticing it. The flavors built up right from about the two-thirds mark until you decided you were done with it, which in my case was until I couldn't hold it any longer. The flavors did not overwhelm you however at the end, as some are prone to doing. They complimented each other, but one didn't come through overtop of the others.

In conclusion I loved this cigar I would love an opportunity to have many more of them. The experience I had with this cigar has indicated to me that I must expand into the RyJ line to see if we can have this many, many more times.

I'm older in my mind than my body says, but I'm younger in my attitudes than my mind should allow.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote