Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2003, 09:23 PM   #1
Cloud9Bob
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Cohiba Siglo I

It was nearing dusk, my cigar-witching hour if there ever was one. I really wanted to herf outdoors, but a guarded glance skyward told me that there was indeed a storm brewing. Throwing caution to the wind I decided to forge onward. Maybe, if I choose a smaller cigar, I could not only finish it at my leisure but possibly even manage to stay dry in the process.

I looked through the coolerdor, wondering just which vitola will set the bell off tonight, and then my eyes focused on a Cohiba Siglo I that was coming up on its second birthday. Ding! Small enough to be a 45-minute smoke, yet special enough to stand up to an evening back yard boondoggle.

I had forgotten how beautiful and carefully constructed this tres petite corona could be. It was perfectly round and properly filled. Not even a hint of a soft spot. The wrapper was an attractive light brown and the triple ringed cap was applied to perfection. No unsightly veins or blemishes anywhere. I'd wager that if this little cigar were photographed closely, and with no reference to scale, that it would certainly fool the eye into believing that it was a meticulously constructed double corona of uncompromising quality.

I know the drill from here by heart. I get my lawn chair, pour a glass of port and head for the back yard like a retriever on point. I take another look at the sky and notice that the cloud cover is even thicker and more ominous than before. "I'd better get started," I mumble to myself. So with renewed determination, I plant myself in the chair, clip the Siglo and spark it to life.

I go easy at first, as I'm always wary of overheating a small cigar. After a few moments that little gem started to reward my palate with layers of a sweet, yet mellow spice. Definitely Havana-esque but tempered in a sort of understated way. A nice change of pace from an in your face "ligero bomb" type of cigar. I'd say it was on the lighter side of medium. Some nice woodsy and earthy tones mixed themselves in to further compliment the blend. The draw was flawless. The ash, dark and grainy. The burn was almost perfect, although it did require a minor touch up once.

I've now enjoyed about a third of the cigar when it happened. That sporadic drop of rain here and there quickly transformed into a card-carrying rain shower of epic proportion. With the Siglo momentarily shielded by the brim of my cap, I hastily grabbed my chair and drink and moved toward "the place". Now "the place" is a spot at the corner of my yard where an old oak and magnolia tree grow right into each other. The area directly under them is just as good as any umbrella. I made it there just in time as Mother Nature tossed me her curve. I settled back into the rhythm of smoking the cigar and although I may have missed a few beats, the Siglo never did. At about the halfway point those subtle honey spice tones turned to more of a solid medium smoke, shedding some of the light complexity for a more straightforward tobacco taste. I continued to enjoy that cigar for just under an hour. The warm, Summer rain fell all around me, but never again did it redampen my hat. All in all, a very enjoyable experience in a small package. I think I'll pour myself a glass of rum.

"It takes a long time to understand nothing"

Cloud9Bob is offline   Reply With Quote