Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
Cloud9Bob
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Partagas Millenium Salamone (Habana)

Well, I could sit and stare at it no longer. The beautiful Partagas Millenium Salamone that BurninRick302 generously sent me last week had seen its final day in the humidor. I brewed a cup of freshly roasted Costa Rican coffee and set coordinates for my living room easy chair. I was embarking on what was to be a two hour-long cigar journey.

This cigar is large. It sported a perfecto foot and a closed, pointed tip, similar to a Montecristo #2. The wrapper was a glossy, Colorado maduro with a distinct reddish tinge. There were two nice (and not so prominent) veins, which traversed its length. They added to the rustic character that the wrappers hue suggested.

I clipped the end and sampled its pre-light draw. It drew effortlessly. Maybe excessively so for some, but for me it was perfect. The taste reminded me of freshly baked bread, honey and oatmeal. I now reached for my Blazer, but paused. This cigar deserved a long wooden match. I sparked the Salamone to life and I was immediately rewarded with a delicious mouthful of spicy, creamy smoke. The first half dozen draws on the Salamone bestowed upon me more flavor than some cigars give up during their entire burn.

The flavor profile was definitely in the “Partagas spice” family, but without any brashness or harshness that one would expect from say, a young Serie D #4. My impression was one of aged leaf, but without any reduction in flavor intensity. This cigar was an exercise in tasteful decadence.

The Salamone’s aroma was another joy to behold. As I closed my eyes, its sweet captivating essence instantly transported me to a land of guayaberas, salsa music and humid tropical breezes. I found myself waving the cigar under my nose in order that I may better appreciate the scent, something I rarely do.

At the 1/3 point, the spices, aroma and body intensified up to a second level, while retaining all of the cigars previous attributes. A virtual cornucopia of that familiar Partagas flavor, yet still without any harshness.

The cigar burned with a light gray, somewhat flaky ash. I occasionally touched up the cigar to even out the burn, but it never became a chore or tedious. As the cigar and I progressed to the final 1/3, the ash got noticeably darker and that familiar spice flavor (which still remained) took on the added quality of molasses and brown sugar. The smoke now tingled my nostrils and I was aware of a slight buzz.

In conclusion, this cigar was one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. It never turned harsh or disagreeable in any way. Why can’t all cigars be this enjoyable? These cigars are ready to smoke now, yet the potential for long-term aging seems excellent. What else would one expect from this rustic behemoth of such classic heritage?

"It takes a long time to understand nothing"

Cloud9Bob is offline   Reply With Quote