Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
Cabaiguan
Club Member

Guantanamera Cristales

These were gifted to me by JBROCK at the last HFF...thanks, buddy!

These cigars come packaged in a glass tube and have a pre-cut foot. The cigars are MM and use tobacco from the less popular region of Vuelta Ariba (Remedios) where mostly cigarette tobacco and tobacco for domestic consumption are produced.

CONSTRUCTION/APPEARANCE:
The cigar is about the size of a corona (cristales) size 5-7/8 x 41. The cigar was veiny and light colorado in color. The pre-light draw from the pre-cut foot was perfect. The cigar reminded me a lot of farm cigars from Cabaiguan, only with better construction. The cigar exhibited great burn qualities and draw throughout.

FLAVOR/STRENGTH
You may all find this odd, but the cigar had flavors similar to virgin olive oil! At least that's what my taste buds told me. Obviously others may be reminded of other flavors while they smoke this cigar. There were also traces of nuttiness and light vanilla. This cigar is VERY mild. In fact, even at the halfway point where many cigars are reaching their "oomph" this guy just kept chugging along at a smooth, easy pace. It was very pleasant and did not burn hot or harsh toward the end.

In conclusion, this baby is meant for those times when a "knock you on your ass cigar" is not the order of the day. I had a Guiness while smoking the GC and the stout totally overpowered the cigar. A nice, mellow cafe con leche or a light beer may have been a better companion.

At about $50 a box, you can't really go wrong. If you want the Cuban flavor without breaking the bank...GET THESE! They are also adviseable for those who are new to Cubans and would like to get their toes wet without scalding the tongue OR the wallet.

Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote