Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2016, 04:12 AM   #1
solomr2
Herf Meister

The Golden Era of Cigars

I love reading about cigars, and I really enjoy seeing how the industry evolved through the years.

I recently came across this page, and spent a long time reading it line by line.
http://cigarhistory.info/Cigar_Histo...1878-1915.html
You can find links to multiple other eras at the bottom of the page - older and newer.

some of the gems:

- 1878 British publication lists their selection of “the best Cuban brands”: Partagas, La Intimidad, Cabañas, Villar y Villar, El Gaucho, Henry Clay, H.Upmann, Caliope, Paz de China, Confederacion Suiza, La Española, A. Murias y Cia., La Carolina, Ramon Allones, V. Arango, Por Larrañaga, Jose Morales and Cabarga y Cia.

- 1892 Photography and lithography were integrated by a screening process which broke the photo into a series of dots, making it possible to add photographic images to stock cigar labels. This is the Ben Day process, named after the man who invented it.

- 1892 Electric street lights debut in New York City.

- 1899 Federal tax officials confiscated 250,000 cigars from the largest factory in San Francisco that employed Chinese labor. The factory was re-using boxes and applying counterfeit Cuban stamps.

- 1900 Consumption Statistics: Last year “Uncle Sam used more tobacco than any other nation, consuming 200,000,000 pounds; but the per capita consumption was far below that of Belgium, which led the world with 110 ounces to each person, to our 43. We stood fifth in per-capita use of tobacco.

- 1903 Interesting cigar production figures for 1903 (rounded to nearest 100k):
Manhattan shipped 589,600,000 cigars
Tampa shipped 94,800,000 cigars
Key West shipped 32,600,000 cigars
Puerto Rico shipped 29,900,000 cigars

- 1905 Census data reports 5,274 children under the age of 16 are working in U.S. cigar factories, up 60% from 1890.

It's very interesting that Cuban fakes were already a concern in the 1800's. Some things don't change.