Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Tatuaje Gran Cojonu...

This Baby's Got Back!

CIGAR: Tatuaje Gran Cojonu 6 1/5 x 60, a Manly sized Cigar!
The price paid was $14.95 plus CA tax.
This one is from a just opened box estimated at a 02/08 date, at local B & M.

APPEARANCE: This is a substantial looking "Naked"cigar! This unit sports no window dressing at all, No Label No Banding. The Wrapper has a red shading that varies light to dark, from Foot to Head, respectively. There are several very prevalent veins and the color change adds an almost Barber Pole feature on the Wrap. The Factory Id's this Wrapper as Ligero Nicaraguan, with an all Nicaraguan Filler and Binder. This is much lighter in coloration than the Two other Cojonu Series Cigars, that I've seen.

CONSTRUCTION: It sports a Triple Seam Plus Cap. Plus, because it looks like there may be an additional layer under the triple cap. The foot also has a twist, the spin from Tat Say's it's a Shaggy Foot. More accurately that it's a Curly Head foot. There is about 3/8th inch overlap on the foot in a clean squared edge, it looks well executed and unique. The cigar is solidly filled and symmetrical. That's no mean feat when You work with a cigar of this Girthage.

PRE-LIGHT: With a clean Guillotine, this Puppy looks Mean.
Side bar: I don't normally go out looking for this size, 60 ring.
However, after one whiff of the wrapper, I was convinced to give it a whirl.
I picked up Chocolate and cinnamon spice. The most aromatic Tat I've ever experienced, at this point. The draw from the shallow clip is free and easy. Really nice flavor of coffee Latte and Pecan with white pepper.

SETTING: Back porch in a comfy chair, with a light breeze. Temps in the 80's partly cloudy, a great evening outside for a cigar.

PAIRING: Ice cold Corona Extra to keep the cool going.

THE "MOVE": Wow! That's one Spicy Wrapper! The easy draw and the bonus wrapper on the foot makes for a very strong start, to this large diameter smoke.
The following draws still have the Pepper Pop, but less than the initial Jalapeno Kick!
The draw is a touch too easy, so I'm careful not to overdraw. Usually these Larger Rings are cool smokers, as long as there is sufficient fill to maintain the proper draw. At 1/2 inch in, the cigar seems to stabilize and slow down on the burn. The Spicy Pepper flavor is sharp on the draw, but after releasing the smoke there now appears a more complex blending. A smokey Cocoa lingers on the finish.
Plenty of billowing white smoke emanates from the smoker and the cigar, with modest amounts from the cigar at rest. The Ash is Shock White and firm, falling off after about one inch.
The flavor level seems to have stabilized also. It is not as In your face as the 2003 blend. It is still a Full in the Flavor and Power departments, but less than the '03. It seems reasonable to assume this is an effect of the increased Diameter on this unit. Now at the 1 3/4 point of this Behemoth and it's a busy ride!

Now that it has settled in, this Fat Boy is pouring on the flavor. The finish is now a Long lasting Twang of pepper and cocoa spice. The burn is much cooler and really enjoyable. Speaking to the burn, the line wobbles back and forth, but so far it has not required an adjustment with the lighter.
When I reached the two inch mark, I encountered a bit of oil, I clip the Head to open it up a touch. Then I knock off another inch of ash and back to the business of smoking.
I'm very glad that I ate before enjoying this Powerhouse.
There are occasional surprises on the Palate. Coffee and Earthy tones keep this an entertaining and multifaceted smoke. Subtle is not in this cigars vocabulary, but I can easily imagine this blend developing an even greater range as it ages. The size might intimidate a few smokers, but You should give it a chance. Even with the Full rating it develops many Wonderful Tobacco flavors that should be experienced.
This size offers a completely different approach to a Full Flavor Tatuaje cigar.
We're now 3 inches into this Wonderful Smoke, it has mellowed a touch yet it just continues to amaze. What a great combination of Flavor and Power. I trim again to address the oil development at the head. Early on I was a bit concerned about the wrapper, it appeared to be somewhat delicate. That was Because, I had accidentally torn a bit off of the foot, but no further issues developed.
As I observe the tray I see fairly clean blocks of ash accumulating at a regular rate.
With two and a half inches left I move indoors to write this up and finish this impressive vitola.
I wrap up the cigar at 1.5 inches and retire it to the tray.

CONCLUSIONE:

It was a beautiful evening outside with a light breeze through the palm trees and the sounds of birds and neighborhood dogs barking. A very relaxing setting for a Excellent Quality Cigar.

I've had all three cigars in the Cojonu line and this one comes in second in the Power department, but First in the Blend Department. The 2006 did not impress me as much as the other two blends in the line.
I'm not sure what the production level is for the Cojonu line. But, I don't see the Gran Cojonu as often as the 2003 and 2006, in shops or online.

I can confidently recommend the 2003 and the Gran Cojonu to All the Full Flavor Fellas out there.

This reminds me why I Love Cigars. I came home today stressed and aggravated from work. After this wonderful Cigar, I'm relaxed and looking forward to the weekend. I don't know of a pill or a drink that will do that for me.

So, There You have it!

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote