Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
ElkTwin

Liga Privada #9 - Thanks Steve!

The cigar was clad in a perfect oscuro wrapper, smooth and finely textured. Awesome understated band. As a Leo, I can appreciate the crest. Pre-light aroma has the scent of loam and a hint of old cigar smoke. Very evocative. Solid, weighty roll. Magnificent!

I ran a pocketknife around the cap just at the base of the dome and popped off a clean circle of tobacco. The densely bunched filler held it's shape and the pre-light draw was perfect. Clearly this cigar was rolled by an artisan.

The first few puffs produced a smooth and well-rounded flavor with just a hint of bite, reminiscent of oaky tannin, on the finish. The burn was dead even and, although I smoked this cigar quite slowly, I never had to worry about it going out. As the cigar progressed the flavors slowly deepened, offering a dense blend of earth, spice and woodsiness. Medium-full, the expression of flavor was not overpowered by the strength of the blend. While there was never a high-end fruitiness, the blend was quite harmonious in the mid-to lower flavor spectrum. A solid light-colored ash grew steadily until tapped at the one inch mark. The aroma of the wafting smoke was crisp and clean.

Going into the second half a slight uneven burn developed, but was not distracting. Once again the flavor deepened, this time offering subtle notes of spice and rosemary. The roll softened as the cigar burned down, becoming springy but not spongy. The finish also became more pronounced with a stronger, more lasting depth that was initially somewhat tarry but quickly faded to a pleasant, smooth aftertaste.

In the final third the burn began to even itself out and the power of the cigar began to assert itself. Never overpowering, the fullness of the blend began to build in insistence and became more satisfying. While I can imagine smoking several of these in a day, it's clear that one would be advised to pace oneself in order to avoid being overcome.

Bravo!

Appearance: 10/10
Construction: 9/10
Flavor: 17/20
Finish: 8/10
Smoking experience: 18/20
Aroma: 10/10
Overall impression: 18/20

Total: 90/100

Thanks, Steve.