Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
EZthefix
Starting Member

Camacho SLR Maduro Rothschild

Camacho SLR Maduro Rothschild
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

I reached into the humidor this week and a relatively new addition came out, a Camacho SLR Maduro Rothschild. You may have noticed that Camacho has launched a new and zippier ad campaign in an effort to create a new image. Whether or not their new “image” will be a success, I can’t say, but one thing is undeniable: they have good tobacco and, as the SLR Rothschild demonstrates, a workmanship that can be pitted against the best.

The SLR Maduros may look a bit rough on the wrapper side, but the dark cacao and sweet spice aromas it yields are delicate and subtle. The draw just can’t be better. The combustion is very good and keeps the cigar evenly lit with a decent smoke volume all the way to the nub.

The cigar starts out with a predominant white pepper note along other roasted flavors. There are definitely some faint nuts in the background as well at the onset. The evolution into the first half also sees a decrease in the pepper and surfacing dark bitter chocolate.

Contrary to other “powerhouse” cigars, the SLR Maduro is not linear or flat past the half way mark. I found that if smoked cool, the smoke continues to develop; it temporarily moves away from a roasted profile to more salty mineral notes. I found this very interesting, though I realize it may not be everyone’s preference.

Sweet wood and cedar notes begin to appear past the 2/3 mark and, as if in a reprise, the bitter cacao and spices join the very intense flavors right before the end. I enjoyed the medium finish and the beautiful musky aroma it left in my lounge.

I give this cigar good marks for maintaining a certain level of complexity that is often absent from the stronger maduro sticks. If you enjoy a heavy, full-bodied maduro, you will certainly appreciate what the Camacho SLR has to offer.
EZthefix is offline   Reply With Quote