Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #1
Trblmkr
Club Member

Onyx Vintage 97 Black Prince

I looked for a review on this before I put thoughts down and didn't see one written.

Onyx Vintage 97 Black Prince

Origin: Dominican Republic

Size: 6X48

Wrapper: Mexican
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Nic/Peru/Brazil

I was in the mood to try something different as I’m was getting tired of smoking the same stuff all the time. So I looked through my humidor and found this sitting there. Just something about the way it was presented itself to me made me want to give it a shot, so here it goes.

(been a while since writing a review so forgive me).

I just got back with a cup of coffee from Starbucks (Orange Mocha was the choice for today) and picked up this cigar from my humidor. It was a beautiful roll as I found no soft spots along the length of the cigar.

The wrapper was a beautiful dark brown, not a Maduro, but certainly darker then the average Connecticut shade leaf I’m used to seeing. No marks along the side, or any visible veins on this cigar either. They certainly took their time on choosing the wrapper for this cigar.

It cut very easily with my Xicar and I proceed down to my computer room to enjoy this with my coffee. The pre-light draw was very easy, on my mouth. Not overly loose to where you feel like vacuum cleaner or to tight (tight gives me headaches). I could taste the hints of chocolate and nuts on the pre-light and I was amazed to say the least.

Putting my torch to it to toast the foot and bring the cigar to life, I toasted it very slowly and rotated it to get a nice glowing orange ring around the foot. The smoke that come off of it was a fine grey. Not a lot like some of the other cigars I smoke on a regular basis, but enough to let you know that it was ready.

I let the cigar sit for a few minutes (I always do this after lighting a cigar) and went about my work. Taking my first draw on it I was really pleased with it. I would say it was a medium body cigar, perfect for a morning smoke. The only problem was my coffee was stronger then the cigar. So I had to spread out the drinking vs. smoking to be able to thoroughly enjoy both. The smoke that came through was much brighter then the smoke after lighting. It was a very fine grey that seemed to linger around my head and fill the room.

About 2” in I began to notice that the ash has not dropped off yet. Normally I’m taping to keep the ash from falling in my keyboard, but this was very firm and still holding strong. The ash was a dark grey and the lines of the ash were very closely compacted. I was surprised at how well it was put together.

The flavor of this stayed the same throughout the smoke. Never needed to be re-lite or touched up as it burned perfectly around the cigar for the whole smoke.

This was a very good smoke for a change of pace. I never thought I would enjoy smoking something other then my other main’s but this one is something I’ll be looking for again to enjoy.

Trblmkr is offline   Reply With Quote