Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
JBI

Holt's New Connoisseur Selection by Pepin Garcia (Comprehens

I received a box of Bishop (Toros) last week and these come un-celleod and they look really nice with a chocolate brown wrapper and all the cigars seem to be packed perfect (i.e., not too tight and not too loose). The Bishop sized toro is pretty solid and one of the larger toros I've seen, even though it's the typical 6*52 (looks more like 54). A little larger than the Old Henry toro for comparison purposes and the OH's seem a bit denser.

The aroma was wonderful upon opening the box and they look and smell somewhat different than most Pepin blends. The cigars also look very well made and were rolled in March of 2007, so they have about 6 months of age naked in the cedar box on them at this point. As always, the proof and conclusion will be in the smoking....

Name: Holt’s Connoisseur Selection
Size: Bishop (Toro)
Components: Wrapper – one of the many variations (in color and thickness) of Pepin’s typical Corojo wrapper, Binder – Nic. ??, Filler – Nic. and probably a combination of Criollo and Corojo ??

Appearance/Construction: The construction of these cigars are outstanding and they remind me of a box of Havana’s from a cabinet with perfect triple caps. They have one of the darker Pepin wrappers I’ve seen as well (somewhere in between milk and dark chocolate, about like the Habana Leon Toros I’ve got) and as I’ve said earlier, the wrapper is not the typical thin, low oil affair that many of his cigars are wrapped in such as the TSSS Greens have been lately. Additionally, the cigars have no bands, no cello and seem to produce a little stronger aroma than some of his other brands initially.

Pre-light Draw: The draw is perfect and easier than some of Pepin's other lines and the cigars in the box were not extremely wet like most others you get these days and that is probably because they are naked. After clipping and drying in the open air for about a half a day, they seem about where I like my cigars to be before smoking which is re-freshing.

Pre-light Aroma: Very nice, but I can’t quite put my finger on certain smells I’m getting descriptively.

Post-light Aroma: Sharp and spicy with a white pepper smell under the nose and a touch of chocolate and cedar.

Opening and Early Stages: A blast of pepper that is typical on the first inch of many of his cigars. And as I proceeded to smoke this large toro, the first thing that comes to mind is that it reminds me, and is very similar to, the Pepin Blue Label. As I get further in it’s still very peppery and spicy with a faint hint of chocolate added to the mix. Although, this cigar has some attributes now of the Old Henry, Black Label and Blue label all mixed into one (but more Blue Label than the others so far). The draw and pull through are way above average on this cigar as well, however, they are not as densely packed as the Old Henry or others (not loosely filled, just not overly packed).

The Heart of the Cigar: I’m almost finished with the first third and it’s changing a bit and adding a little more chocolaty richness which it lacked in the first inch or so and losing a little bit of the full-on pepper blast (nice swing as it changes tunes). I also taste an almost caramelized nuance that is accompanying the other flavors at this point. Nice mix! The burn and draw are great also, but the ash is a little flaky.

Latter Stages and Finale: The heart of the cigar and final third are similar in the overall flavor department and still remind me most of the Pepin Blue Label more than anything.

Summary and Afterthoughts: I enjoyed this cigar very much and Holt’s has another winning blend, however, it seemed a tad too similar to the Pepin Blue Label and not unique enough to add it to the daily/weekly rotation constantly via buying quantity (that opinion has changed as they've settled and I've sampled more). Furthermore, I may still prefer the Old Henry the best and the OH's are one of the few blends that are actually quite unique unto themselves like the Tatuaje Reds. I also think these cigars will benefit from further aging.

They also have plenty of flavor and strength for most die hard smokers and to me fall into the medium plus category. I would buy these again probably though, especially considering they come 25 to a box and are on the cheaper end of the Pepin price point. However, the OH and Tats. may still come first in my house (not sure now)! We will see how these do after they settle a little in the next week/month etc...

Ratings: (1=Lowest, 10=Highest)

Appearance – 9
Pre-light Flavors- 7
Construction – 9
Draw – 10
Aroma - 8
Flavor/Taste – 8
Burn/Ash – 7 (not perfect and a little flaky, but very good overall)
Finish – 7
Smoking Experience – 7
Overall Impression - 8 out of 10, maybe a little less