Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

Liga Privada No. 9 by Drew Estate

Liga Privada No. 9 by Drew Estate

This cigar was generously given to yours truly by Joey Oliva of Drew Estate at the 2007 RTDA Convention.

Inspection:

This is a well-constructed cigar with a smooth dark wrapper; a shade lighter than a maduro. The white label with the embossed Royal Lion emblem along with the scripted moniker gives this cigar a personal touch. The body of the cigar was firm yet yielded slightly with a pinch void of any soft spots.

The cap lifted off cleanly and easily with my Palio cutter. The initial draw from the LP gave just the right amount of pull and taste notes to make the upcoming lighted draw most pleasing.

Lighting:

After lightly toasting the foot I was already given a most pleasing rich aroma.

Burn:

The opening volley of the LP produced full plumes of rich spice indicative of the potent end leaves placed at the tuft of quality full body cigars. I proceeded to let this smoke flow through and tantalize my nostrils to fully appreciate the flavor. I was pleased that there was no harshness here that many spiced cigars fail to achieve at this level.

As expected, the full-on spice tone mellowed into a smooth woody spice that hinted of flavors of dark chocolate and espresso; all this goodness in just the first third. As she burned toward the center over tones of white pepper became more pronounced underlined with a toasty woody finish. I even noticed a slight hint of black cherry that was pleasantly unexpected.

As the LP approached the last third it maintained a firm level of bold spice without fail. I believe Ligero leaves play a prominent role in the flavor profile of the LP. As the end approached I burned my fingers nubbing this gem fully appreciating the cinnamon spice yielded by the LP at this point.

Conclusion:

Drew Estate has a clear winner with the Liga Privada. This cigar should be considered a celebratory treat because of limited availability and the bold spice aspect of the Liga Privada commands respect; it is in great moments of our lives that this significance can be best appreciated.

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote