Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Tatuaje Regional Edition, West Coast (Exclusivo Lado Occiden

I was gifted a number of these brand new cigars by my friend Brandon (aka rutkus) in response to a couple of posts I'd made. I took one of these beauties with me to RTDA yesterday, and lit it up after I'd had a chance to ask Pete Johnson himself about his decision to produce "regional releases." More on that in the Smoking Post momentarily. To the cigar:

The Tatuaje Exclusivo Lado Occidental is a toro (6x50) that comes with a dark colorado/maduro wrapper and a red & white double band. If I remember correctly, it is a Nicaraguan puro. The wrapper on this particular specimen was gorgeous - very lightly veined with a light sheen of oil. Construction was perfect (no surprise for a Tatuaje cigar) - dense and heavy, yet really uniform, with no softness or hard spots.

Pre-light draw was slightly light, but really quite good for a cigar of this ring gauge. Pre-light flavors were light and earthy, not surprising for a cigar this young.

First third: Medium body, complex spicy flavors with cocoa undertones, very complex, very well-balanced. The draw actually tightened slightly as the cigar warmed, which made it basically perfect. The cigar effortlessly produced dense clouds of smoke with every draw, a quality I personally treasure. The burn was razor-straight, and the ash was smooth and very firm, pale gray in color.

Middle third: The flavors shifted almost constantly, deepening as they did, yet all the while maintaining perfect balance and an enticing complexity. At times, there were faint floral notes, but the overall impressions of spices and cocoa were predominant, all overlain by a creamy richness that I've come to associate with only top-quality tobacco.

Final third: As I burned this one down to a 3/4" nub, the flavors stayed similar to the middle third, and yet somehow managed to stay just as complex, just as interesting. The finish was long and clean.

Committing more than an hour to any cigar while wandering around in the vibrant heart of the North American cigar industry would have been something of a challenge, but this cigar was eminently up to the task. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I highly recommend it, and I will make an effort to secure some to lay down for some aging....if I can keep my hands off them!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote