Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Old Malt Cask 1975 Ardbeg

Kingston, Ontario may not be the first locality that springs to mind when thinking of fine dining or enticing wine and spirits lists. Despite this, and on the recommendation of a Prince Edward County bed and breakfast proprietor whose company I recently enjoyed over a pour or four, I decided to check out an establishment called – are you ready? – Chez Piggy for a bite of lunch.

While sitting in the restaurant’s comfortable outdoor courtyard and perusing the drinks list, my radar immediately zeroed in on mention of a 25-year old Ardbeg distilled in 1975. Could this be the almost legendary Old Malt Cask edition released by Douglas Laing?

I asked the waiter, “Would you happen to know which version this is?”

“I don’t,” he replied, “but I’ll bring you the bottle in a minute.”

The waiter obligingly returned with the whisky. The malt was, as I had dreamt, that particular elixir distilled in October of 1975 and bottled in October of 2000 – one of but 702 bottles drawn from a single priceless cask. He poured me a generous dram and remarked, “I could smell this all afternoon.”

And what of the whisky?

Ardbeg 25 Year Old Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask Series, Distilled October 1975 & Bottled October 2000 – 50%

Colour: Shimmering lemon gold with a whisper of green.

Nose: Gently fragrant by Ardbeg standards. Imagine stepping out onto a long seaside pier and then sauntering toward something sweet and fruit-like at the far end. Though smoke and spice lie way off in the distance, time in the glass does bring them teasingly nearer.

Palate: A glycerin-textured inundation of candied stem ginger and honeyed malt gives way to rapier-like pulsations of fresh ginger root, hot pepper, salt and oak, countless filaments of peat providing warp and weft for the tapestry of tastes. At once luxuriant and limber, soothing and scintillating.

Assessment: The peat, though seemingly delicate, is everywhere.

Summary: Memorable. An Islay dessert for the senses.

I never did pick this one up when it was locally available years ago for the princely sum of $199.95CDN.