Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Partagás Serie D No.2

Partagás Serie D No.2 Edición Limitada 2003
6.13 inches by 50-ring gauge
Country of fabrication: Cuba

Date smoked: Monday June 11th, 2007
Setting: A very warm, breezy evening on the back porch.
Accompanying drink: A refreshing Rum cocktail concocted from Flor de Caña 12-Year Old Centenario, pineapple, coconut, fresh ginger and ginger ale, served on the rocks.

The cigar:

Appearance: The semi-gloss Colorado Oscuro outer leaf displayed a predominantly deep walnut brown colour, showing some reddish tones and mottled areas of darker burnt umber as well. Straw gold highlights coursed along most of the veins, one of which appeared rather prominent. The triple-seam cap, though well applied, possessed a marginal cant to its flattened head. Internally, the scrolling of the tripa evidenced a compact, symmetrical pattern. The finger feel was quite firm with an ideal degree of resilience.

Combustion: Apart from the propensity of the burn edge to develop slight angulations as well as minor scallops, combustion proceeded in perfect fashion. I never had to resort to corrective measures or re-lighting, and the draw tempo was exemplary. The total session spanned approximately 1¼-hour.

Pre-light aroma: Fragrances of cedar and undergrowth lay atop hints of dark chocolate and coffee, while a subtle mustiness lurked beneath.
Pre-light draw: Cedar-infused tobacco took center stage, with a more pronounced earthiness readily apparent. Scents of cardamon, mint and black pepper played supporting roles.
Post-light aroma: An almost heavenly aroma of embering tobacco, sweet woods and spice cake wafted upward upon firing.

Opening: The immediately forthcoming flavour of powerful tobacco conveyed rich overtones of fertile earth and roasted Yemen Mocha Mattari coffee beans, with lighter cedar notes bringing up the rear. This constituted a heady overture, and the ripe, leafy tannins were very present at this point.
Early stages: Here, the cedar acquired a tart, citrus-laced peppery quality as notions of exotic wood and cumin appeared alongside.
The heart of the session: The Serie D No.2 came across smoothly at mid-point despite the undeniable strength of the blend and that plethora of spices dancing around the perimeter of the palate.
Latter stages: A tremendous sense of integration began to take hold as the round and full bodied core of toasted tobacco gave up generous dollups of earth-laden dark chocolate and coffee. Zesty black pepper seemed to be sprinkled everywhere. The overall sensation was neither sweet nor dry, and lingered deftly on the taste buds.

Summary: The 2003 Edición Limitada Robusto Extra is, at the 4-year mark, already proving to be a structured, balanced and savory cigar in the classic Partagás mold. Given that the Serie D No.2 lies, in its physical parameters, somewhere between the 2000 Piramide and 2001 Corona Gorda, it should come as no surprise that the flavour of this model mirrors many of the traits of the other two. Though I still give an edge to the Serie D No.3 at this time, I can easily see where a couple of years more might have me revising my preference.