Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
MTMOuse

H Upmann Regalias - Newbie perspective

First I will give you a little history about myself. That way you can evaluate my review from a newbie’s perspective.

I’m about as green as a newbie comes. I was a cigarette smoker for a few years, but gave that up (for many reasons). I started smoking Colts (ya ya I know) in the fall of last year, but put them down after a couple weeks.

Last year my wife was having a hard time thinking of a gift to get me for Christmas, so she got me a humidor and The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cigars. Up until this time I’ve probably smoked ½ dozen ‘real’ cigars in my life (not counting the Colts).

After a few weeks a get through the book. I probably would have got through it quicker, but I can only spend so much ‘quality time alone’ before someone else needs the can.

So I get through the book and spend a little time online at various cigar sites. Now armed with my new found knowledge; I’m an expert in the world of cigars.

I have a friend from work pick me up a few smokes while down in Cuba. He brings me back a few sticks; not knowing what he bought. Why? Because he didn’t read the book.

Now with a few Montecristo #3, a Bolivar #1 tubo and a pack of Cohiba Panetelas; I’m ready to move on the ‘practical’ part of the experience.

I’ve since burned through those and had a few others. I’m now an expert with a dozen smokes under belt to use as a database for my review.

Alright you heard enough about me. On with the review.

On Saturday I drag the wife down to the local LCDH; after all she’s the one that got me started. I pick up a ½ dozen new singles to add to my database. I decided I would try one of the cheaper smokes (If you consider $9 cheap, but CC and Canadian taxes doesn’t get you much), for a ‘Yard Gar’ (Did I get that Right?). Ray steers me towards the H Upmann Regalias. Truth is I only new it was H Upmann; I had to call him back today to find out what it was.

It was nice day today so I decided I would fire one up with my late morning Tim’s (In Canadian terms, that’s the coffee God). I grabbed the H Upmann Regalias, my new stainless steel cutter, fancy lighter and head out back to the deck.

The cigar had a nice oily wrapper and solid construction. I clip the end, take a little sniff (nice smell) and take a test draw. Nice pull to it, not a lot of resistance, just right. I understand MM cigars can have some issues, ah, I mean from my vast experience. Then fire it up.

The first part was a nice experience, nice draw lots of smoke. Things level off after the first few minutes. The flavour starts to build in the second half. Nice burn all the way down. The flavour starts to intensify in the bottom quarter. Peppery, Cinnamon flavours come through for me. By the end I have a little tingle in my lips. I nubbed it.

I know given my limited experience, but I really enjoyed this one. I enjoyed it so much; it’s going to be my first box purchase.

Take the review for what it’s worth, from a newbie. For all the newbies out there, that want to try a CC, but don’t want to fork out too much cash. You can’t go wrong with this one.

I hope to add non CC to my database in the near future, but Canadian taxes make them expensive also. Wife will only loosen the purse strings so much. Isn't that just like women; tease you with it, then ration it out like it's mouthwash at the Betty Ford Clinic.

Thanks for reading
MTMouse
MTMOuse is offline   Reply With Quote