Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
ConMan
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Cohiba Sublime EL 2004

I decided that today I could justify pulling one of these beauties out of my humi as a congratulatory gift to myself for my first home purchase today.

First impression of this cigar is obviously the size of this cigar. It is huge. The previous large cigar on my resume was the Siglo VI. This cigar becomes a real jaw buster

The construction of this cigar is magnificant. It's thinly veined, perfect tripple cap, chocolate brown wrapper, wonderfully filled - no soft spots to speak of, beautifully banded and oily/silky to the touch. Superb

Prelight on this cigar is amazing. The aroma is sweet tobacco that is simply as inviting as a cigar can be. I can smell this cigar almost two feet away from my nose without effort. Almost a floral smell. The taste after the cut is sweet to the lips and the dry pull reveals some serious tobacco flavor. It's strong.

Initial flavor profile after toasting the foot is an explosion of tobacco and the trademark Cohiba flavor. But there is an underlying sweetness that initally takes over. It's grassy & sweet

The first quarter of this cannon found the burn requiring some minor corrections with the torch (easily corrected). Probably due to my inexperience smoking a cigar of this size and ring gauge The flavor is sweet with underlying spice. Extremely good. Smoke volume is medium, perhaps because I was taking it slow.

The first third (I have to break this thing down somehow ) I note some minor liquorice (sp) and some hints of cherry. They're not strong and they don't last long The burn has evened out and it's cooking razor sharp. Smoke volume is heavy; but, it's not a thick smoke that to me is a trademark of Cohiba, at least the Siglo line.

At the half way point the smoke is becoming more velvety and smooth. The flavor profile is pretty characteristic of the first 1/3 of the cigar, with some hints of vanilla I'm a bit disappointed, though. I was expecting a little more development in the flavor profile and some additional complexities and stronger nuances of the falvor profile. Still damn good, though.

As I get down to the EL band and strip it off the Nic content is not overpowering; but, it's providing an adequate amount that it's giving that wonderful relaxing Cuban feeling and has succeeded in seriously mellowing me out with its smoke and aroma

I'm peeling away the Cohiba band now and am preparing to smoke it to the nub I'm definitely at the best part of this smoke

It's finishing strongly both in spice, nicotine, smoke volume and taste. Underlying creamyness is mellow and not pronounced.

Summary - An excellent cigar. Also a cigar that should sit for a few years before finding the hot edge of the torch again. Had to try 'em though and I'm certainly glad I did. The rest will rest. Total smoking time: Two glorious hours
ConMan is offline   Reply With Quote