Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Por Larrañaga Petit Corona

My only previous experience with this venerable mareva was from this same box code when it was young. It was very disappointing then, but I decided to give it the benefit of a doubt and allow it to sleep in my humidor. Say let's see what a little age has done for this cigar...

Por Larrañaga
Petit Corona
5 1/8 x 42 Mareva (FRH 9/04)

Appearance: This cigar was wrapped in a light mahogany colorado leaf. The feel of this cigar was smooth with a pleasant oily sheen to it and only a few noticeable veins. There was a bit of damage to the foot where a piece of the wrapper had chipped, but nothing major. The capa was well-applied, flat on a top, with a wierd little spot on the top perimeter.

Prelight: Cut easily enough, but the wierd spot turned out to be a very small piece of stem. Otherwise, the opened area was smooth and without frays. A prelight draw revealed nothing. Obviously, this cigar wasn't going to give away its flavors so easily.

Flavor: From first light, an entrancing aroma filled the air and a cornucopia of flavors washed over my palate. Sweet vanilla beans, gentle swaths of English leather, a drizzle of rich caramel, all against a backdrop of soft, warm gingerbread. The aroma of the cigar matched the flavor almost to a tee. These flavors danced around with other tastes. In particular, there was an herbaceous taste I often experience in fine Havanas that evokes the flavor of home-brewed root beer. A third of the way in, light puffs teased out of the cigar a distinctively grassy flavor and the tingle of black peppercorns danced on the tip of my tongue. About halfway in, another partner stepped in to the dance: the classic flavor medley cedar, earthy notes, and a background of toasty tobacco. The many flavor profiles seemed to constantly dance in and out, trading places with one another every couple of puffs. In the last third, the flavors gravitated more towards the initial, with that same gingerbread flavor joining an overall taste like sweet home-baked cookies. There began to evolve distinct elements of maple and brown sugar. Needless to say, this one was smoked to a nub.

Construction: Very well-made. A good draw, great self-correcting burn with no touch-ups, and a rock-solid shale gray ash. Even to the nub, never got too hot or harsh.

Misc: Accompanied with a cup of medium-roasted Colombian Supremo coffee.

Summary: A DEFINITE improvement from the last one smoked. It's remarkable sometimes what so little time can do to turn a cigar around. One of the best and most complex smokes I think I've ever had. With those grassy and vanilla flavors, I almost though I was smoking a Cohiba for a minute! And now I must weep because that's the last Por Larrañaga Petit Corona I had in my humidor.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote