Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
Augie754

CAO Sopranos Edition Associate
Cigar Size = 5 x 52 (robusto)
Country of Origin = Nicaragua
Wrapper = Brazilian Maduro
Binder = Honduran
Filler = Nicaraguan / Dominican / Columbian
Purchased From = Smoke Signals, Columbus, Oh
Purchase Date = 2006-10-23
Purchase price = $13.50
Smoke Date = 2008-06-08

Appearance = 8.8
This cigar is a dark brown robusto. The wrapper has rough oily look with a great dark brown color, what you'd expect from a good maduro. It is straight and has no lumps save the smalls veins. The cap was applied perfectly and looks smooth. It has a black CAO band near the cap and a bright red Sopranos band at the foot that makes it look over done. Once removed this was a great looking cigar with only minor blemishes.

Construction = 8.7
Pre-smoke draw was just a little easy. It was firm in the fingers and burnt at an angle most of the time (this could be due to how windy it was when I smoked it). After lighting the draw was a bit easy throughout, but more than acceptable. It burned cool to start out, but the last couple inches it burnt very hot. The ash was gray with a little black peppered in and was a little flakey.

Taste = 8.7
Pre-smoke was sweet with a little spice. Although overpowering at first, the flavor mellowed to rich and medium-full. The cigar was medium-full strength, so not too overpowering. It was nutty with light hints of cinnamon and hints of a rich fruit flavor (after seeing the CAO site they described as black cherry). It's had a long finish with the cinnamon spice flavors lingering.

Overall
This was a delightful change to my typical cigar. It would be great to have more of these, but I can't justify the high price. If I see a cheap 5 pack of these is an larger size I'd probably get them. I don't think it would have burnt as hot in a larger size.

Appearance = 8.8 x 1
Construction = 8.7 x 3
Taste = 8.7 x 6
Overall = 8.71
Strenth Rating = Medium-Full

Rating scale:
10.0 - 9.5 = buy at any price
9.5 - 9.0 = premium price box worthy
9.0 - 8.5 = box worthy
8.5 - 8.0 = single or 5 pack worthy
8.0 - 7.0 = single worthy if dirt cheap
7.0 - 6.0 = will smoke if given for free