Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Even the title is biased,

Drawing a conclusion before the lede is even presented. Can you honestly trust this?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...rk-study-finds

If they knew a damned thing about low carb, they'd know the fallacy.

Even if you follow a lowcarb diet, what carbs you get are from whole grains. Without a sauce, veggies (with exceptions such as peas, carrot and corn that have been selectively bred for sweetness) are negative calories and contain the fiber your body needs to digest. The myth that you don't eat anything but meat on a low carb diet is just that, a myth.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

So very true.
No processed grain, no starchy veggies, no peas or corn (neither of which have nutritional value you can't get easily elsewhere without the starch...). That's a low carb diet.

Got an air fryer for Christmas. Used it monday to make some "fried wings". they turned out quite well. I will follow the instructions next time and make sure that the chicken is completely dry before putting it into the fryer...

As of today I weigh 228lbs. I weighed 258 last january. How? watching what I eat and skipping starch and grain...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Pasta and bread are a challenge, especially if you like sandwiches as much as I do.

Peanut butter wraps aren't much of a substitute. My girls taste what I have occasionally and declare that it isn't very good. My response is that if you're given that as a choice and it's that or nothing, which do you choose?

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

life is an endless series of pain, disappointments and annoyances. But it remains the best of the two options.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
As of today I weigh 228lbs. I weighed 258 last january. How? watching what I eat and skipping starch and grain...
Very well done!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
capper
Herf Meister

Quote:
Mann told the Guardian that the research “does contribute to the debate considerably. Here we have got very strong evidence that a high-fibre diet, which for the majority of people is at least high-ish in carbohydrates, has an enormous protective effect – a wide range of diseases including diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer benefit from a high-carbohydrate diet.”

I could have told them that years ago. Where one gets their carbs coupled with amount eaten and physical activity play a large role in ones health. The less processing, the better for you. imho

Last edited by capper; 01-16-2019 at 01:57 AM.
capper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 AM   #7
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Let the contrarian chime in here. It aint WHAT you eat so much, its how MUCH you eat. Lower them calories and keep it high protein, and you'll lose weight. I do it every day. Since July 6, 2018 I've lost 74 pounds. I don't deny myself ANYthing. I don't exercise 5 hours a day.

It CAN be done. The more complicated the diet you follow is, the less likely you'll follow it.

OH...cigars are zero calories. I have lotsa them.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 AM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

You've done well, Keith.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
Let the contrarian chime in here. It aint WHAT you eat so much, its how MUCH you eat. Lower them calories and keep it high protein, and you'll lose weight. I do it every day. Since July 6, 2018 I've lost 74 pounds. I don't deny myself ANYthing. I don't exercise 5 hours a day.

It CAN be done. The more complicated the diet you follow is, the less likely you'll follow it.

OH...cigars are zero calories. I have lotsa them.
that is very true and makes total scientific sense. But it is harder to package up so you can be on talk shows and sell a book.

I would add that alcohol is right behind fat for being calorie dense.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I liked the show at first. After they discovered Magnus in Scandinavia, they seemed to be doing the same show over and over again. It ceased to be interesting to me. The early episodes were great.

Netflix and Prime have a treasure trove of cooking shows I've never even heard of, much less watched.

Unborn lives matter too.