Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I placed an order with JR

I took the advice of some people on this forum and ordered a HOYO DE MONTERREY BUNDLE- NO. 450 ROBUSTO and a bundle of #9 Connies. These should be similar. The price was good on both and I want to test these out to see how they compare to the Punch Roths I love so much. These were sort of a little present to myself after filing my taxes.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
KatDad
Herf God

You won't be disappointed.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
spiridon
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatDad View Post
You won't be disappointed.

Agreed! It's been a while since I've had either of these, but remember they were always quite tasty! Enjoy! .....and let us know what ya think.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
SmoKerch
Herf God

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

The roth was a commodity cigar at villazon. At one time, i have read, they manufactured only a few actual "Recipes" of roths. In reality, when production runs all day, all year, on a cigar, it genuinely becomes a generic item. One of the reasons it was a great deal for them was the fact that the very smallest wrapper leaves could be split, and each leaf would produce 4 cigars. The 5 or 5.5 inch vitolas couldn't be done this way. wrapper is the most expensive component, and if a wrapper leaf can be used for two roths instead of a single corona, well, do the math.

The roths were stored sorted by wrapper and components and packaged as orders came in. The punch, hoyo, and several other brands were the same cigars, drawn from the same stock, and boxed as needed. ERDM used different wrappers and binders, as did ult, IIRC. You would find nearly any roth in a #9, for example, but the hoyo, punch, JR alternatives, and some other private labels would have been just randomly pulled from the warehouses full of generic roths.

even now, I expect that there's going to be very little difference between punch and hoyo, and if the story is true, the bundles are pulled from the same production runs, just banded and bundled differently and sold at a far greater discount than is really called for. A dress box costs about $4, I've heard. Realistically speaking, the bundle should sell at no more than a five or maybe eight dollar discount.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

There was a time when a box was important to me for storage purposes. Now that my Aristocrat is full of drawers I no longer care about the boxes, as everything comes out of the boxes and is placed in the drawers.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.

Last edited by Rob G; 03-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote