Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
TBaGZ

Dewey Ave. Smoke Shop (rochester guys)

Do any of you guys go there? I have gone there a couple times now and have mixed feelings on it. The first time I went in I talked to a guy John (owner maybe?) and explained that I was a nOOB and asked him for some suggestions. He gave me a couple sticks explained what brand they were and what type of smoke it was and gave me a free cheapie cutter. I figured cool I'll keep going to this guy and seeing what i can learn from him and try some different things out. Now the last time I went in two see him he gave seemed like he really didn't want to help me out, he was busy talking to someone behind the counter so I just waited for him to be done. Then when he came over i told him which ones I liked best out of the ones he picked for me last time and why.Then when he picked me out 3 new ones he just kind of rang them up and went back to his conversation not telling me anything about them. And i guess the one thing that bothers me the most is that there is no walk in humi, everything is in cases behind the counter. I like to be able to look at the cigars too while I am picking things out (and look at the prices so i can pass withouth seaming like a cheap ass).

So if any of you local guys read this what are your feelings on this shop, and where else is there to go around here? Lyell Video? I hear they have a nice walk in humi there.
TBaGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
malicxv
Club Member

Can't offer any help for ya T.... but one thing I can say, is be happy you atleast have a shop you can visit, that doesnt charge you an arm, and a partial leg for a yard gar, let alone a decent smoke...

Fun new game:
malicxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
dbaranska

I'm sure he does charge an arm and a leg...this is NY State.... I heard of the shop but I don't know much about it...

I have been to the Roch a few times...unfortunatly not to the smoke shops....
Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
TBaGZ

Yeah he's not exactly cheap by any means. But being so new I don't really know if I am being ripped off or not.

Paid 4.50 for a Cusano 18 robusto, 7.60 for a Ashton Magnum robusto, and 6.51 for a RYJ Rothschild robusto the other day.

Dewey Ave Smoke Shop web site
Old 04-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ
Yeah he's not exactly cheap by any means. But being so new I don't really know if I am being ripped off or not.

Paid 4.50 for a Cusano 18 robusto, 7.60 for a Ashton Magnum robusto, and 6.51 for a RYJ Rothschild robusto the other day.

Dewey Ave Smoke Shop web site
If you are buying anything at a local shop in Ny you are being ripped-off. The local shops are good in the beginning, especially when you are trying new things out, but I'd recommend buying online. Jr's has great deals on 5 packs. These are great when you want to sample something. In many cases, the 5 packs costs the same or less as what you would pay for only 2 or 3 at your local shop.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
TBaGZ

I know it is cheaper to buy online but I figured it would be nice to have someone to talk to about them before I buy. I guess I'll just have to bother you everytime I want to make a purchase!!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ
I know it is cheaper to buy online but I figured it would be nice to have someone to talk to about them before I buy. I guess I'll just have to bother you everytime I want to make a purchase!!

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
TBaGZ

Hope you like the sound of AIM!!!