Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

About aging cigars...

You buy a box of your favorites, put them back for two years. During that time, you find other favs, and forget about the box you set back.
One day you're looking for something different in the humi, and remember the box that is 2 years old now.
You are excited, as you carefully select a sample, settle down into your smoking chair, and reach for your ligher.
You follow perfect ligting procedure, all is well. A few puffs later, you are thinking....WTF?
Did I get the right cigar? Did someone put a dog rocket in my box?

So what really happened? Did the flavor profile of the cigar change that much, or did your taste buds change that much?

I've had this experience. In this case it was a Punch doulbe corona maduro. I don't know..I thought two years should make it smoother, better. But it just had a somewhat bitter,almost harsh taste to it. Not horribly awful, but not good either.
Yes, I've smoked aged cigars before. I've smoked a 5 year old Fuente 858 that was excellent. Some 4 year old CAO maduros, ...excellent. And a few other aged but less than 3 years. This is the first time I've had a negative experience with a cigar. And I liked the Punch to start with.