Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
fatshotbud
Herf Meister

Varnish odor....

Recently picked up some cigars that come in varnished boxes (05).....
The varnish odor is really noticable if you smell the outside (no smell inside that i noticed).

i think the varnish was either not cured enough or possible moisture got on it when being packaged.

I put the closed wooden box back into the cardboard outer box it was shipped in and put into a humidor.

I am worried that the smell might eventually migrate throught the cardboard to other boxes in the humidor - what can I do.

Life is good!
fatshotbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Smoker06
Herf God

Hmmm, maybe you could take them out of that box and put them in another box?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
Herfnerd
Club Member

Don't put any varnished boxes in your humi or cooler. It won't allow the smokes to 'breathe'
Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
fatshotbud
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd
Don't put any varnished boxes in your humi or cooler. It won't allow the smokes to 'breathe'
Ahhh the old breath or not to breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker06
Good old Tim (xrundog) PM'd me some good information on the subject; also recommending relocation of cigars and work on getting the varnish cured out.

Life is good!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Headbanger

Fatshot, would you or xrun like to share those ideas with us please ? I recently have a fully varnished box from 02, but I never smelled the outside. But the inside is like a bouquet of wild flowers I tell ya.

From what I read, the idea of the varnished box is for serious long term storage anyway. So me thinks the idea of breathing them is sorta mute.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
nunee
Club Member

Hmmmmmmm, a varnish-o-dor. Never thought of that. I was thinking of making a fridge-o-dor, maybe I'll try that.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Speaking of "breathing," MRN's book has really shed some light on that subject for me. In years to come, I hope to experiment more with it. For those who haven't read the Good Book (as I call it ), Min Ron Nee muses that the popular "breathing" (allow cigars to get plenty of air in the humidor, i.e. not putting them in cabs, tubes, or other packaging that constricts airflow) knowledge is popular because Zino Davidoff recommended it in his books on Havana cigars. He believe this works for cigars in the short term, as more air speeds up fermentation and gets rid of ammonia faster.

But, MRN believes that in the long term, a cigar aged very slowly in a tube, varnished box, cab, etc. will become better because the packaging will keep the essential oils from evaporating so quickly and ultimately create a better cigar.

Can't remember who it was (to lazy to do a search right now), but a member here seems to have had similar results with vacuum-sealing boxes of cigars, letting them set for many years, and then opening them up to smoke them.

So it seems its best to let a cigar "breathe" if you intend to smoke it within a few years, but keep the air out as much as possible if you plan to age it for many years.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

All I said was the problem isn't an uncommon one. I suggested putting the cigars in the humidor unboxed or in a different container. Allow the box to cure, rebox the cigars when the box is ready.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
bigpuff
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker06
Sounds like good advice.

The Puff

Ok I must confess. I am and always will be an
Opus whore.

Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
fatshotbud
Herf Meister

I contacted the vendor where the boxes were purchased from.
Was told that they used "Orange Oil" to remove some health warning stickers that (when they were applied) had overlapped onto the varnished area.
I am going to relocate the cigars and rub down the boxes real good.
Then I will set them out (closed) to dry/cure. Figure on placing a couple humid packs inside so they remained seasoned for use.
After a sufficient time for the odor to disappear - I will restock the boxes and place them into a humidor.

That's the plan

Life is good!