Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Paraphen

Does the humidity vary a lot between parts of a humidor?

I've got a desktop humidor with one tray and space below it, and I've been using a perforated plastic tube with Heartfelt beads, just setting it on the top shelf. The hygrometer has always stuck to around 65%, so I figured everything was fine.

But the cigars in the bottom seem a little dry. So as an experiment, I moved the beads to the bottom section, and now the hygrometer, which is sitting on the top shelf, only reads 58%. Could there really be this much variation between the two levels of the humidor? I mean, the tray is only a couple of inches above the bottom of the humidor.
Paraphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I've noticed that on many of the newer humidors, the tray fits in pretty tight. So you put cigars in the tray and the bottom is effectively sealed off from the top. Put a small tube in the bottom.

All they gotta do is leave a little space on either side of the tray when they build it.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Master Gates
Club Member

most trays do have holes/slots in them though, and it would not take much to equalize humidity on the top vs the bottom, even if you had cigars filling the top tray

I usually have my humidification devices in the bottom since the top is going to be more humid than the bottom. Prob doesnt make much difference in a desktop though
Master Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Paraphen

There are some pretty big holes in the bottom of the tray, so I don't think it's creating much of a seal.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraphen
There are some pretty big holes in the bottom of the tray, so I don't think it's creating much of a seal.
Then I guess you can move the beads to the bottom and everything will be fine.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Viper139

When asked I also recommend that the beads be kept in the bottom of your desktop humi. You will get a little better balance that way.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Paraphen

I already tried moving them to the bottom, but now the hygrometer only reads 60% humidity on the top shelf, and it's taken a day and a half with the humidor closed the whole time to get that high.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraphen
I already tried moving them to the bottom, but now the hygrometer only reads 60% humidity on the top shelf, and it's taken a day and a half with the humidor closed the whole time to get that high.
Okay. The top may not be "sealed" off from the bottom. What I said before was that it was "effectively" sealed off. In other words, because of the close fit of the tray (assuming you have cigars in it that is) you have poor moisture exchange between the top and bottom. The best way to compensate (IMO) is to put a small tube of beads in the top.

Or you can leave it alone and RH in the top may go up a couple points over time.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I agree with the others that the top shelf is effectively sealed off. I had a typical desktop humidor with a single tray. Even though the tray had slots for air exchange, those are rendered useless if they are covered with cigars. If the beads are kept up top, the the bottom is cut off; if the beads are kept on the bottom then the top is cut off. My solution was to not to use the tray. But if you are going to use the tray you should keep some beads on the bottom and the top.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
Paraphen

Well damn. I guess I'm going to have to find another container to put some of the beads in.