Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2003, 06:40 AM   #1
MetsFan
Herf God

Frau Wankel Especiale

The lone cigar of the weekend was a very special one, a rare and coveted Frau Wankel Especiale. Like it’s namesake, this short rotund cigar was sure to be a unique experience.

I sat down with a glass of Coke (I refrained from alcohol while smoking this so as not to detract from the many subtle nuances it was sure to provide) and inspected this masterpiece. The cigar was dominated by a large vein which run up the underside. Also the cap was somewhat sloppily applied, like that of a bad toupee on a televangelist. Overall though, this was a textbook specimen for pork chopped cigars.

I then proceeded to clip the rug off the top with my trusty SAK and flipped the top on my Zippo, igniting the wick. I inserted the cigar into my mouth and took a test draw. So far so good. After an acceptable waiting period while the fuel burned off the Zippo, I set flame to the foot of the cigar. Amazingly, the cigar refused to accept the flame, as though it was impervious to the heat emanating from the fire. The stubbornness exhibited by the cigar was impressive, to say the least. As I struggled to get the cigar lit, I was reminded of the Iraqi Minister of Information as he stood in Baghdad with bombs landing around him, telling his viewers the coalition forces were dying by the hundreds. However, like the Coalition troops, I prevailed and finally got a decent light.

I then proceed to open up a recent copy of Cigar Aficionado to read about the good life while enjoying such a fine cigar. The draw on the cigar remained perfect, not too tight, not too lose. The amount of smoke this thing provided was impressive and, in a word, ample. I was expecting the cigar to be aggressive and bitter, yet it was actually quite mellow and smooth. Overall, it was not an unpleasant smoking experience. Once over the initial lighting, the cigar did not fight back. It was as if it had realized it had met a superior being and had succumbed to my might. It laid down and gave itself up so that I may do as I please with it.
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote