Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
rutkus
Club Member

Macallan 12

in my beginning travels through the world of single malts, this was my first stop. I've enjoyed reading many a review on these wonderful liquors i thought the only way to see for myself was to run out and begin my collection with this first bottle.

though i've tried a couple single malts before, its usually after many drinks and i'm thoroughly inebriated so i've never really sat down to appreciate the flavors that they bring to the table.

this weekend i went down to my favorite liquor store to stock up. in doing so i thought i would pick up something new. i picked up "old fitzgerald" as my entry into bourbons, and macallan 12. i decided not to go with the 15 for some reason as I really wanted to use the 12 as a litmus into single malts.

I first poured a dram and took a woft. my stomach kind of turned a bit, i remembered previous experiences of straight alcohol that didn't turn out too well. I said to myself, "I can't do it..." i then put a "drop" of cool water and then just went for it. i took a sip.

i was immediately blown away by the complexity of flavors. holy cow, this was good stuff. bits of almond, a sweetness like rasins and vanilla extract, and other flavors that i didn't really document at the time. i was just not prepared to take it all in. i was thoroughly pleased.
and the wonderful warmth as it went down my throat was really enjoyable.

i regret that I didn't have a cigar with me at the time. I'm excited i believe i have found a new vice...

I cannot wait to explore more of the single malts this subforum was a great resource of information.
(,('')('')
rutkus is offline   Reply With Quote